New virus from shithole China

All things Health (including Viruses like Covid)
Bobby

Re: New virus from shithole China

Post by Bobby » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:57 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:51 pm
I believe it only extends to certain businesses in that field and the government will help them to produce medical supplies at home. It doesn't mean everyone's business is going to be taken over.

Maybe Tex can explain.

It means any business that they think can change over from making product X and
now retool to make product Y has to do it.
It means throwing out or storing your old machinery, training staff to do it and it
sounds like before a deal is even reached on whether you'll make a profit or not.
It's basically nationalising a private business.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:02 pm

Bobby wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:57 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
I believe it only extends to certain businesses in that field and the government will help them to produce medical supplies at home. It doesn't mean everyone's business is going to be taken over.

Maybe Tex can explain.

It means throwing out or storing your old machinery, training staff to do it and it
sounds like before a deal is even reached on whether you'll make a profit or not.
BS I think you are being over dramatic and obviously they will be helped with the changes.

What would you do if China threatened to withhold all medicals that previous governments have sold off to China? This is a POSITIVE thing and not a doom and gloom scenario.

BigP

Post by BigP » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:12 pm

billy the kid wrote:
There was a street corner tip a year or so ago that the next shooting war would be between
the US and China.....makes you wonder doesn't it...….
Economic wars become trade wars become shooting wars......and in between we have the China virus.....
Believe what you want to believe......
More likely to use some proxies , But things will never be the same again :clap

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:15 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:02 pm
Bobby wrote:
Black Orchid wrote:

Maybe Tex can explain.

BS I think you are being over dramatic and obviously they will be helped with the changes.

What would you do if China threatened to withhold all medicals that previous governments have sold off to China? This is a POSITIVE thing and not a doom and gloom scenario.

No - I am not being dramatic at all -
that's exactly what it means.
That's what happens in a war.

Yes - it is probably necessary to make the special anti-viral drugs and the masks & gowns needed -
otherwise they would run out and people would die.

In Australia we will run out of those items and people will die because of it so
maybe we have to take the same draconian measures?

More to see on this - it's a huge step.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:21 pm

Trump Has Invoked Wartime Powers To Protect America

Trump Has Invoked Wartime Powers To Protect America, Shockingly MSNBC And CNN Are PRAISING Trump. In the midst of the global crisis 57 house democrats have called on trump to invoke the Defense Production Act to restore our ability to manufacture emergency medical supplies.

Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden have also called for the DPA to be instituted and now Trump has invoked the powers.

This will give the President sweeping powers over US manufacturing and consumer markets.

As we face a growing risk due to outsourcing our manufacturing to China and the global pandemic measures like this receiving bipartisan support should give us all hope that though we face a common enemy we can stop our internal squabbles and deal with the issues facing us all.

Seeing the far left supporters of Bernie, moderates supporting Biden, and Trump supporters in agreement at least to some degree is amazing and I hope for now we can work together to get through this.
Last edited by Bobby on Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:22 pm

I've said numerous times Australia needs to do the same and I see it as not only a positive but a necessity. More people are likely to die if we remain dependent on China for medicals.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:24 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:22 pm
I've said numerous times Australia needs to do the same and I see it as not only a positive but a necessity. More people are likely to die if we remain dependent on China for medicals.
China is blocking exports of masks, gowns, and drugs because they need them to save Chinese lives.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:27 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Production_Act

The Act contains three major sections. The first authorizes the President to require businesses to sign contracts or fulfill orders deemed necessary for national defense. The second authorizes the President to establish mechanisms (such as regulations, orders or agencies) to allocate materials, services and facilities to promote national defense. The third section authorizes the President to control the civilian economy so that scarce and/or critical materials necessary to the national defense effort are available for defense needs.[3]

The Act also authorizes the President to requisition property, force industry to expand production and the supply of basic resources, impose wage and price controls, settle labor disputes, control consumer and real estate credit, establish contractual priorities, and allocate raw materials towards national defense.[3]

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:33 pm

Write him a letter and tell him you don't agree. Then write another one to China and beg them not to be big bullies.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:40 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:33 pm
Write him a letter and tell him you don't agree. Then write another one to China and beg them not to be big bullies.
" requisition property"

Wow - does that mean that the Govt. can just take your property?