Is the Xmas bonus good for the economy?

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
freediver

Re: Is the Xmas bonus good for the economy?

Post by freediver » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:31 pm

Maybe we should view children more as a resource than an expense. You won't be feeding your children noodels every night if it affects their productivity.

Rainbow Moonlight

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Wednesday, 12 December 2007

New figures from the University of Canberra show the average family will spend $537,000 on raising their two children to age 21.
http://www.smartcompany.com.au/Free-Art ... -kids.html

I am raising 6 kids.

And Howard's wonderful new laws to help poor deprived fathers has ensured a significant loss of income for us, so that the bonus I will get from Rudd will only just cover the amount I lost from Howard's new "fair" laws. And I can assure you my ex will not be providing even the amount suggested above to raise two of the five he had with me.

boxy

Post by boxy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:30 pm

**wipes a tear from his eye**

And somehow that's my problem? For some reason I've got to help you raise 6 kids?

Why? Because it's more expensive than not having kids?

6 FFS?

Google "birth control".

And if your church objects, get them to pay.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

mantra.

Post by mantra. » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:49 am

That's a hell of a lot of kids to be raising on your own Ele. I would have thought with a pension, baby bonus, immunisation bonus, Family benefits A & B, Xmas bonus & the $600 pa for each child under 16 - that people with large families would be better off than the average worker who only manages a take home pay of about $30,000 if they're lucky.

Surely it would work out cheaper with so many kids. Food can be bought in bulk - baths shared. You can pass everything down, clothes, toys etc. With one or 2 children, nothing is passed on and everything has to be bought new.

I also believe the figures for raising children are grossly exaggerated unless you send them to private schools, buy them the best of everything, have them enrolled in a dozen different activities and take them for expensive holidays each year. Raising children doesn't have to be that expensive and you can still give them a good quality life.

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:23 am

mantra wrote:That's a hell of a lot of kids to be raising on your own Ele.
And Dog help 'em.
You vote, you lose!

Rainbow Moonlight

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Whoever is posting and moderating as Boxy, i don't think it is the real Boxy. I have thought quite often that what he posts on this site is too stupid to be the real Boxy, and that post directed at me is too nasty to be the real Boxy.

mantra.

Post by mantra. » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:54 pm

Yes that was a bit mean Rainbow - and I didn't mean to sound so harsh either. You are doing a tough job and need all the support you can get. Sorry.

boxy

Post by boxy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:11 pm

The truth hurts sometimes.

If you consciously make a decision to breed, don't expect non-breeders to like it when you demand that they pay you for the privilege.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Rainbow Moonlight

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:34 pm

You don't think the economy or country needs new workers and new tax payers to function then? Or you think we should import them all?

Taxes pay for services and welfare and defence, and the people you refer to so scathingly as breeders are the ones whose children will keep the country going as they go into the labour force. Those children will very likely pay your old age pension, the upkeep of roads, hospital services for you when you are aged. Is your attitude to all those in need the same as your attitude to children?

boxy

Post by boxy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:16 pm

Rainbow Moonlight wrote:Is your attitude to all those in need the same as your attitude to children?
Well there's your problem. This cash isn't being doled out to "children in need" (OMG, won't someone think of the children!).

This baby bonus bullshite is being doled out to every fucking mother, regardless of need.

This Xmas bonus crap is making me see the wisdom in Tom's attitude to politicians. I'll probably be voting for John Lennon next time.