Is the Xmas bonus good for the economy?

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Jovial Monk

Re: Is the Xmas bonus good for the economy?

Post by Jovial Monk » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:56 am

Hehehe somewhere i read that all manuf goods--and a lot of food--is all made in China, What is local are prostitutes and beer, so spend your bonus shagging your arse off and drinking yourself to a stupor.

:)

skippy

Post by skippy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:00 am

Dita wrote:Hehehe somewhere i read that all manuf goods--and a lot of food--is all made in China, What is local are prostitutes and beer, so spend your bonus shagging your arse off and drinking yourself to a stupor.

:)
Ha ha ha ,for the good of the country.

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:33 pm

Dita wrote:So, you never got any tax cuts over the last 11 years?

How is that a handout? And in fact, I have to buy fucking health insurance to reduce my tax even though I'm healthy and don't need it. :evil:
You vote, you lose!

freediver

Post by freediver » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:42 pm

Tom you can't buy insurance after you get sick.

skippy

Post by skippy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:54 pm

TomB wrote:

How is that a handout? And in fact, I have to buy fucking health insurance to reduce my tax even though I'm healthy and don't need it. :evil:
Well thats the rodents fault,Labor should stop propping up private health funds like the Libs did, taxpayer money should be put into PUBLIC health not propping up private companies like HCF and MBF.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:41 pm

TomB wrote:

How is it a handout? Does a tax cut mean more or less money in your pocket?

Rudd has started reducing the level at which the medicare levy surcharge kicks in. So you can either let go of the private insurance if you are under those levels or arrange a cheap policy that gives no benefits but means you don't have to pay the levy. If you are just over the cutoff amount blame the Liberals and Xenephon etc in the Senate.

freediver

Post by freediver » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:52 pm

It is not a handout because you earn the money. Not taxing people is not a handout. Taking the money off those who actually earned it and handing it out on an arbitrary basis is a handout.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Nobody earns a tax cut.

freediver

Post by freediver » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:59 pm

True, because the money has already been earned. Expecting someone to 'earn' a tax cut would imply earning the money twice. It also implies that we have no right to our money and that we have to justify keeping it, or taking it from the government, rather than the only rational view that says that the government must justify taking it from us.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:20 pm

You don't earn a tax cut by impressing the govt so they lower your tax. The well off got big tax cuts under Howard, handouts! The wealthy with rugrats going to private schools get another handout.

The ones getting the bonus have paid tax too: pensioners and families.