Storms in Melbourne

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Aquarius

Re: Storms in Melbourne

Post by Aquarius » Thu Oct 03, 2024 4:00 pm

Yes, that's strange about the weather in different suburbs - I've been driving home and virtually drove out of the rain into the sun which was quite bizarre. Over here on the coast we seem to miss out on all the drama in the inner and western suburbs. We rarely get flooding because we are all up hill and down dale over here but the vast western suburbs are so flat that water has nowhere to escape. But we do have floodplains all along the coast because of the lagoons and so we can experience those flash floods in extreme weather.

As for the trees on footpaths, I suppose those unsuitable trees would cost too much to remove, hence the annual lopping. But I think the best trees are bottlebrushes. We have quite a few in our streets around here. Right at the moment they are flowering profusely and are so colourful. They provide nectar for the bees too which is most important so if you pass one you will see dozens of bees at work. It's always best to plant natives instead of some of those unsuitable exotic types of trees that grow far too high. Yep, it's unbelievable that councils have allowed these trees to be planted in the first place. Haven't they got anyone with a few brains and/or expertise when it comes to horticulture?

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:54 pm

Apparently not. Bottlebrushes are nice and I do prefer the natives, though some natives can look 'dingy' looking and boring.
Some flower beautifully, some smell really nice. They really should ask 'experts' and not just some Joe running the local Nursery looking to sell his own plants on order at emotional blackmail about the Council 'having to' support local community, etc.

Everyone thinks Willows are beautiful due to Monet paintings. But Willows are dreadful along creeks, streams and narrow rivers. They really do ruin the waterways in so many ways and for the water-based creatures. They're basically an awful (big) 'weed' that are detrimental to waterways.

So it shows that good education and expertise is needed towards foresight for future needs.
Alas, I've seen most of Sydney since being a boy of the 70's go from being a very 'leafy' City all over, be it the Basin from Scrambletown to Hawkesbury and east of the Canal to the Coastal burbs. You could hear Cicadas anywhere and the City of Sydney was indeed a nice place to live.
But especially since 2000, the Quantity over Quality has clearly turned Sydney into a Monstro-city of Cement, Tar and anything not really relating to nature. They want to put high-rises (Hong Kong Slums) everywhere with near to no parking for the inhabitants. The want to cover the Scenic Hills in the West with Block Mansions because they can cash in on the 'view' prices. I worked Construction out west where Burbs basically deforest 'everything' like a clean slate. Even St Gregory's (Did Renovations there) Boys were selling all their prime lands for 'burbs'. They want 760,000 homes (via burbs) to be made out S-West past Scrambletown through Douglas Park and all the way to Tahmoor. It will never stop.

If Sydney had retained its 'nature loving' STYLE. Then we probably wouldn't mind the city growing, etc. But since 'quantity' is the name of the game now - Sydney has become a malignant cancer of cement, tar, brick and steel that is spreading without any real planning, consideration for efficient infrastructure. Basically Woolworths, Coles - when they want to increase business. They build a big 'Supermarket Centre' out in nowhere and just have their 'revenue' move into the new 'burbs' built around them. Maybe a Petrol Station or two. Some burbs like Eagle Vale are in the middle of nowhere - in regards to being surrounded by other burbs and more.

Personally. I think Sydney is a lost cause. I remember working for the 'secret' borings in regards to the Tunnel under Balmain. All "shoosh", so the Balmainers don't find out until its too late. I didn't give a rats and told anyone who asked what we were doing? "Yeah - we're testing all the sandstone towards building a giant worm-tunnel under your suburb in a few years."

Sydney has become the House of Cards.
If the Nukes get thrown around during World War. I honestly reckon some crazed Moslem in a little white van with a black market USSR Nuke in the back will blow Sydney sky high. The Basin will suddenly become a 'Bay' and most of the harbour will be pulverised and gone.

...Red Sails in the Sunset (Midnight Oil).

Aquarius

Post by Aquarius » Mon Oct 21, 2024 12:58 pm

You could hear Cicadas anywhere and the City of Sydney was indeed a nice place to live.
This is what I miss - the cicadas. The sounds of summer. And where are the blue tongue lizards that used to live in my little backyard and sun themselves on the wooden retaining walls? We used to hand feed them mince meat. The wildlife is dying off (except for the brush turkeys that have moved in because they've lost their habitat) and instead we get millions of mussos and Indians and Chinese in their place. I just want the lizards and the birds back!
Sydney has become a malignant cancer of cement, tar, brick and steel that is spreading without any real planning, consideration for efficient infrastructure.
Absolutely. It seems that everyone I know is escaping Sydney and moving elsewhere. I'd leave too, except it's still ok over here on the Northern Beaches and I'm loath to leave because if I wanted to come back I'd probably not be able to afford to buy back in what with the shocking price of homes over here now.

I never drive into the city anymore. It's become a nightmare for motorists what with all the toll roads and tunnels. The Rozelle Interchange is a shambles. And so costly!! It must be horrendous for those people living in the inner city and suburbs as people try to avoid the toll roads and use suburban streets. I only drive north up to the central and north coasts - sometimes Qld to see my brother on the Gold Coast hinterland. Nearly all my cousins are up that way having left decades ago. I also drive to the Blue Mountains regularly. It's easy going out through North Ryde and Rhodes and then onto the M4 and escaping the madness of the tunnels. My neighbour won't even leave the Northern Beaches - won't drive across the Spit or Roseville Bridges - won't even drive further than Warriewood. That's how it's affecting a lot of older drivers because it seems that everytime they venture out, it's all changed again. We just don't recognise our city anymore.

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Mon Oct 21, 2024 4:40 pm

You've nailed it with the older people. Sydney is a shemozzle and they do indeed keep changing the goal posts of Roads and Traffic. I grew up in Sydney and the older I got, the more I got lost in it. Northern Beaches is one of the few last bastions of quality areas, that I can agree with you. When I lived in Kirribilli, I stopped walking to work on King/George Sts, across the Bridge because I got sick of dickheads wanting attention for their own boredoms. So I had to cough up the extra for ferry for such a short distance. :roll

If I have to drive to the NSW far north coast, I make the time to go the inland 'scenic' route - which although is much longer in kms, is far less stressful and awful than going the coastal route through crapholes like Nowra, Wollongong and through the Dungeon itself 'Sydney'.

I would honestly say that Sydney & Melbourne have not just become a 'health hazard' in regards to the many 'dangerous' aspects both in the people and the conditions there, but that both would FAIL dismally in any WH&S standard for 'cities'.
They 'both' prove that those international Polls like 'best cities in the world', etc - are nothing but fabricated Polls that get paid (by Syd/Mel Tourism) to announce such things as 'best LIVEABLE ( :roll ) cities' in Australia, etc.