Victoria - weak sentencing.

Discuss any News, Current Events, Crimes
Forum rules
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Random guest posting.
Bobby

Victoria - weak sentencing.

Post by Bobby » Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:12 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ughed.html

20th June 2024.

He committed this offence of pushing the person off the pier while he was already bailed.

He walked out of court on Tuesday without a conviction.

A seaside Australian community has been left outraged over the sentence given to a teenager who pushed an elderly woman off a pier as a prank.

The boy was 14 when he pushed the woman off Mornington Pier, in Victoria, in January along with two mates, one of whom recorded video of the incident.

The stunt could have caused the woman - who could not swim - to drown if others had not jumped in to save her.

And now there is shock in the Mornington Peninsula community after the boy, who has since turned 15, walked out of court on Tuesday without a conviction.

He was instead given a diversion order, meaning he will undergo a mandatory program including counselling and education.

Chris Crewther, the state MP for Mornington and Victorian Opposition spokesman for justice and corrections, said it amounted to no more than a 'rap on the knuckles'.

'It was pretty shocking for me and most of the Mornington community at the time, that these three young people would just push an elderly person off the pier for no reason whatsoever,' he told 3AW radio.

'I was equally shocked, with our community, that basically he only got a rap on the knuckles.'

The boy was on bail at the time of the attack, but the court heard he was remorseful for what he did.

Mr Crewther, however, is sceptical about this claim.

'He said he was remorseful in court, but then he gave the finger to people outside of the court,' the MP said.

'There's really not much justice for victims, and continued fear, and when there's no consequences they just go on to commit more crimes.'

Bobby

Re: Victoria - weak sentencing.

Post by Bobby » Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:12 pm

cont .

Mr Crewther agreed with radio host Jacqui Felgate that the youth crime crisis in Victoria has a 'nasty element' to it.

'I think we've seen this growing more and more recently, where young people are committing crimes and bragging about their crimes on social media and elsewhere, but there seems to be little consequences for youth committing offences,' he said.

He also pointed out that Mornington Police station is operating on reduced hours.

'This has happened under the state Labor government, where they've reduced hours for multiple different police stations across Victoria,' he said.

'In particular in this case, you look at the fact that the young guy was on bail for assault, for assaulting a 35-year-old female.

'He committed this offence of pushing the person off the pier while he was already bailed.'

Mr Crewther said this showed the Labor government is 'weakening our bail laws in Victoria, particularly with respect to abolishing offences of breaching bail conditions and abolishing offences of committing an indictable offence while on bail'.

During sentencing the magistrate told the court 'it's not going to be an easy process', adding that 'you're remorseful for your behaviour, which is a positive step for you and the community'.

The teenager's father told 9News outside court: 'We're very pleased with the outcome.'

If he completes that four-month order,
the charges against the 15-year-old will be wiped from his record. 

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:14 pm

Breaching bail should be a mandatory 5 year sentence with hard labor.

No wonder we have no law and order in Melbourne.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:47 pm

I can't believe Dan Andrews was awarded a Companion of the Order of Australia (AC) :shock:

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:18 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:47 pm
I can't believe Dan Andrews was awarded a Companion of the Order of Australia (AC) :shock:
Yes and he left progressive magistrates and judges in his wake
without mandatory sentencing -
so that we lost law and order.

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:48 am

Shame Covid and the Lockdowns didn't continue for more years - otherwise we may have seen the States become their own Independent nations.
Life was culturally stimulating in Australia when the States were in fact very culturally different.
Pauline Hanson's One Nation influence has made this country's States look all the boringly mundane bland same now.

mellie

Post by mellie » Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:55 pm

I can't get my head around the way youth have absolutely no respect for our elderly and vulnerable people.
When I was a kid, we were taught to help elderly people cross the road, carry their shopping, give them a seat on the bus.... honestly, if I ever got a whiff of any of my children so much as disrespecting elderly, or any person, even bullying at school.

God help them.
They'd want to pray they got incarcerated!

It's absolutely disgusting, and I am getting really fed up with internet culture ( particularly American ) making derogatory memes about our elderly people also, referring to them as "boomers".
If it weren't for my boomer parents, these ungracious and disrespectful little toads would be out digging trenches for their youth allowance, instead of sitting at home doing what they should be doing, studying and helping around the home.

Brats out of control, they're all so smart ( think they are) entitled and demonstrate an alarming disrespect for their elders, no doubt a deliberate and leftist agenda to corrupt and breakdown our society.

My eldest is 30, and he only ever referred to my mother as a boomer once, ( to me , not her) and I doubt he'll ever do it again.

It's our "boomers" who picked up the broken piece's of our society post world war II, and worked their guts out to restart our economy.

Time we began teaching Australian History &Values in all our schools P- 12, and stopped forcing their Leftard global warming religion down their throats instead.

I wonder what the answer would be if we interviewed random students from various demographic grades 6 to 12 and asked them what it means to be an Australian?
~A climate change denier is what an idiot calls a realist~https://g.co/kgs/6F5wtU

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Wed Jul 31, 2024 2:30 pm

The American 'Media' (Music/Entertainment) Culture has always been obsessed with Youth & Sex.
While the Australian 'Media' Culture is obsessed with Money and 'Old' age. Hence Australia's musical fascination with olders, Retro and has-beens.
Australia's Tourism is expensive just like the American Health system: Pay double, get less.

Media Culture as a general can be put into perspective if you see it 'based' in Oceania and doing to North America, South America and Sahul (Aust/Melanesia) what Religion in the Middle-East did to Asia, Europe and Africa surrounding it.

Also - the American and Australian Media's are really 'Alpha' Female domains. Alpha = Takers of the Future. Beta = Keepers of the Past.
So the Media in N.America, S.America and here in Sahul are 'Alpha Female' domains.
While Oceania in the middle of the New Worlds are an Alpha Male domain (as is Europe, Asia, Africa).

Anyway, you will find that the shift in Australian Media will focus more on the Elderly ($$$) spectrum of age, rather than the youth (sex) American style as the latest 'new' thing. I mean - look what Australia did for Leo Sayer! Now there was a Renaissance. ;)

Lets also look into the fact that what I found the most disturbing of Australia's Aged Care was the amount of female to male ratio of workers.
No offence, but these poor women not only have to look after children, but old people too!
Children are the domain of women - by tradition, but every man's responsibility is to look after his 'oldies' so to speak.
So by orthodox - there should be more 'males' in Aged Care than females, if national pride and culture are put into the light.
Not only is it 'physically' more demanding, but it would also teach a lot of young males how to grow old respectively.

As a male, I preferred to work Palliative any day, rather than get involved with anything like maternity. :shock: :OMG Bad enough I had to clean delivery suits. :b I didn't have to act like a woman (Gay) to show a Duty of Care in a professional and ethical manner. In fact, I've had to tell a GM and CEO to "Get ******" in regards to my refusal (and reprimand) to attend to a 'kid' on the toilet without another family adult (especially when there were plenty of female staff around) or female staff member.

So I think a lot of women out there in Aged Care would love to have more Males involved in Aged Care.
But the frustrating thing is the poor Recruitment Drives and Promos by the Aust Medical Industry which just seems to be always down with the flu and having a sickie.