Cyber outage - world wide.

Discuss any News, Current Events, Crimes
Forum rules
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Random guest posting.
Bobby

Cyber outage - world wide.

Post by Bobby » Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:10 pm

Cyber outage.
It's ridiculous -
one person makes one mistake with a line of code on the other side of the world
and brings down the whole world.

https://edition.cnn.com/business/live-n ... index.html

52 min ago

Microsoft says the underlying cause for the global outage has been fixed but impacts continue
From CNN’s Maisie Linford Microsoft
said the “underlying cause” that caused the global outage “has been fixed,”
adding that residual impact is still affecting some services.
“The underlying cause has been fixed, however, residual impact is continuing to
affect some Microsoft 365 apps and services,” Microsoft said in a post on X Friday.
“We’re conducting additional mitigations to provide relief,” the post added.
More on what’s behind this: The outage appears to stem at least partly from a software update
issued by firm CrowdStrike , experts tell CNN.
The CEO of CrowdStrike said that the IT issue causing a global outage
has been identified and that a fix has been deployed.

Aquarius

Re: Cyber outage - world wide.

Post by Aquarius » Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:14 am

It absolutely passed me by. I was out all day yesterday and came home just before the outage occurred. I'd taken some cash out of the ATM in Manly, been to the supermarket. Got home, booted up the laptop, no problems so was surprised to hear of the global outage on the news.

My son said his computers were down at work which was really impacting them being police.

It's really horrible that an Australian is at the helm of CrowdStrike.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:39 pm

Aquarius wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:14 am
It absolutely passed me by. I was out all day yesterday and came home just before the outage occurred. I'd taken some cash out of the ATM in Manly, been to the supermarket. Got home, booted up the laptop, no problems so was surprised to hear of the global outage on the news.

My son said his computers were down at work which was really impacting them being police.

It's really horrible that an Australian is at the helm of CrowdStrike.
I went to Coles late last night.
There were 2 out of 12 self serve terminals working and
there weren't many people so I got my groceries OK.

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Sat Jul 20, 2024 3:32 pm

See.
They'll never get rid of the CASH system, nor should they.
ALP and Albanese must be looking like total losers now, trying to push such an unreliable and insecure system of Economics as the one and only dependency for Economics.
Imagine War and a lot of these places get bombed and put out of action? So many industries and businesses will fall flat.
When it comes to the 'WEB' - one only has to burn a few silk threads and the whole web collapses.
They say spider silk threads are stronger than steel. But man do they burn faster than a dragster down the track.

You watch Albanese try to con Australians and keep pushing another one of his very fallible gimmicks. :roll

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Sat Jul 20, 2024 3:38 pm

Jasin wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2024 3:32 pm
See.
They'll never get rid of the CASH system, nor should they.
ALP and Albanese must be looking like total losers now, trying to push such an unreliable and insecure system of Economics as the one and only dependency for Economics.
Imagine War and a lot of these places get bombed and put out of action? So many industries and businesses will fall flat.
When it comes to the 'WEB' - one only has to burn a few silk threads and the whole web collapses.
They say spider silk threads are stronger than steel. But man do they burn faster than a dragster down the track.

You watch Albanese try to con Australians and keep pushing another one of his very fallible gimmicks. :roll

Aquarius

Post by Aquarius » Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:07 am

The only time I get cash out is for birthdays and Christmas as I always give cash except for my sister, best friend and neighbours and also the littlies who love their presents. I don't like gift cards much and they have time limitations.

However a cashless society would certainly put a dent in criminal organisations. They'd find other ways, however cash has always been king where crime is concerned.

Apart from that, I do tend to keep about two 50 dollar notes in my wallet and $5k in cash at home. Just in case. Because you never know just when you might need it ....

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:44 pm

Aquarius wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:07 am
The only time I get cash out is for birthdays and Christmas as I always give cash except for my sister, best friend and neighbours and also the littlies who love their presents. I don't like gift cards much and they have time limitations.

However a cashless society would certainly put a dent in criminal organisations. They'd find other ways, however cash has always been king where crime is concerned.

Apart from that, I do tend to keep about two 50 dollar notes in my wallet and $5k in cash at home. Just in case. Because you never know just when you might need it ....

$5K in cash?

Don't let the Sudanese find out. :scare

Frances

Post by Frances » Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:09 pm

I was at Coles on Friday afternoon. The registers appeared to be operating normally, but the checkout operator told me that the FlyBuys points weren't going though to people's accounts. Not a big deal for me as I was only spending about $40.00.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:06 pm

Frances wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:09 pm
I was at Coles on Friday afternoon. The registers appeared to be operating normally, but the checkout operator told me that the FlyBuys points weren't going though to people's accounts. Not a big deal for me as I was only spending about $40.00.
Just got back from Coles now - all is fine.

Aquarius

Post by Aquarius » Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:56 pm

Bobby wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:44 pm
Aquarius wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:07 am

$5K in cash?

Don't let the Sudanese find out. :scare

Lol. No Sudanese anywhere near this "white flight" area. Thank God!!