Albo to waste $600 million

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Bobby

Albo to waste $600 million

Post by Bobby » Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:44 pm

We're over $1 trillion in debt and Albo continues to
spend and borrow money like a drunken sailor.
I think he's gone insane.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-21/ ... /103871426

NRL and federal government closing in on $600m deal
to launch Papua New Guinea rugby league team

By political reporter Tom Lowrey
Posted Tue 21 May 2024 at 5:43am

In short: The federal government and the NRL are working on deal that would see a new NRL side based in Papua New Guinea.
The deal could be worth up to $600 million in federal funding over 10 years.
What's next? PNG Prime Minister James Marape has indicated he wants a decision on the deal made before 2025.

The federal government and the NRL are closing in on a deal worth up to $600 million to secure a new NRL side based in Papua New Guinea.

Black Orchid

Re: Albo to waste $600 million

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:30 pm

He's a moron and so is ALL of his cabinet. It's going to take the Libs a decade to dig us out and by then the voting morons will vote Labor back in to screw us all again.

UnSubRocky

Post by UnSubRocky » Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:56 pm

The long term gains we could get from this deal might repay Australia many times over. We could get the Papuans to suck up to us, and they might be more amenable in allowing Australia more access or better details for their natural resources. It would also help get the Chinese off-side (no pun intended) with the Papuans, with the Chinese allegedly making deals with PNG.

Unless China has a rugby league competition start up there and then make a deal to fly the Papuan rugby league team to play in their competition, I doubt that there would be much bias towards making deals with China.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:01 pm

UnSubRocky wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:56 pm
The long term gains we could get from this deal might repay Australia many times over. We could get the Papuans to suck up to us, and they might be more amenable in allowing Australia more access or better details for their natural resources. It would also help get the Chinese off-side (no pun intended) with the Papuans, with the Chinese allegedly making deals with PNG.

Unless China has a rugby league competition start up there and then make a deal to fly the Papuan rugby league team to play in their competition, I doubt that there would be much bias towards making deals with China.
No -
Albo can find better things to do with $600M of our tax money than
employing halfwits to kick a ball around a paddock.

UnSubRocky

Post by UnSubRocky » Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:00 am

Having PNG rugby league players tour Australia might actually encourage those in PNG to lift their spirits and work towards developing their country better. That community spirit in Port Moresby may lead to a better standard of living. The likes of which would flow on to regional and rural areas.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:07 pm

We need to look after, and clean up, our own before we start dumping hundreds of millions of dollars on foreign rugby players.

UnSubRocky

Post by UnSubRocky » Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:08 pm

Do you reckon the economically viable exploitation of PNG mining resources we have going over there could be justified by the rugby league expansion into PNG? You know, as compensation for what they have done for us. I kind of feel that the help that the Papuans gave us in WW2, could still be paid off.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:48 pm

The Aussies and the Americans saved them from the Japanese in WWII.

I don't know much about the mining and exploitation other than I think little, or no, tax was paid by Australian mining companies but if we do owe them compensation don't you think it would be better applied to humanitarian, infrastructure, education and healh efforts rather than tossing $600 million into a rugby team? I certainly do.

In the past 20 years we have given PNG over $2.5 billion in aid btw. Over $14 billion all up. Could you consider that compensation?

But a football team? Nah! That's just Albo doing what Albo does. Wasting taxpayer money on a stupid whim.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:27 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:48 pm

I don't know much about the mining and exploitation other than I think little, or no, tax was paid by Australian mining companies but if we do owe them compensation don't you think it would be better applied to humanitarian, infrastructure, education and healh efforts rather than tossing $600 million into a rugby team? I certainly do.

In the past 20 years we have given PNG over $2.5 billion in aid btw. Over $14 billion all up. Could you consider that compensation?

But a football team? Nah! That's just Albo doing what Albo does. Wasting taxpayer money on a stupid whim.
It's another idea worked out on the back of beer coaster.
Is Albo a drunk?

UnSubRocky

Post by UnSubRocky » Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:18 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:48 pm

$60 million per year every year for the next 10 years to prop up a minnow rugby league team in PNG. And the strategy behind this is to help PNG be swayed to side with Australia against China. Surreptitiously. Unless China starts up a rugby league competition and invites the Papuans into their competition, I think they have much to gain by siding with Australia. This is long term thinking.

That said, if the PNG deal falls through, I have no issues having a new stadium built at the CQU in Rockhampton here, and we can have a Central Queensland team in the NRL competition.