Iran President Ebrahim Raisi and Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian Dead

America, Europe, Asia and the rest of the world
Black Orchid

Iran President Ebrahim Raisi and Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian Dead

Post by Black Orchid » Mon May 20, 2024 5:27 pm

Iran’s President Ebrahim Raisi and Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian have died in a helicopter crash. A total of nine people, including a provincial governor, were on board when the aircraft went down in northern Iran’s East Azerbaijan province. They all are believed to be dead.

As the country mourns, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei says there will be no disruptions to how Iran is run. Iran’s vice president will assume the powers of the presidency and new elections will be held within 50 days.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog ... te=2912941

Somehow I doubt most of Iran will be mourning. I wonder how long before they try to blame Israel?

It's a shame Ayatollah Ali Khamenei wasn't onboard as well.

Bobby

Re: Iran President Ebrahim Raisi and Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian Dead

Post by Bobby » Mon May 20, 2024 7:25 pm

I think it was only an accident but many
countries would be glad about it:
USA, Israel, Ukraine.
He was selling death drones to Russia used to kill people in Ukraine.
He has been at the head of a decades long proxy war against Israel.
The USA has been in a cold war with Iran since 1979.

He wasn't a nice guy -
he had the blood of many on his hands.

Black Orchid

Re: Iran President Ebrahim Raisi and Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian Dead

Post by Black Orchid » Mon May 20, 2024 7:28 pm

From what I've read the one stepping up to take his place is even worse.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Mon May 20, 2024 7:28 pm

https://www.timesofisrael.com/irans-rai ... an-border/

Before becoming president, Raisi held various positions inside the judiciary under the purview of Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. As a prosecutor, and at the end of the Iran-Iraq War in 1988,
he sat on the committee that sentenced thousands of political prisoners to death.

The executions earned him the moniker “Butcher of Tehran,” and he was subsequently subjected to sanctions by the United States and to condemnation by the United Nations and international human rights organizations.

From 2006 until his death, Raisi served on the Assembly of Experts, a body that appoints and supervises the supreme leader.

Khamenei, who holds ultimate power with a final say on foreign policy and Iran’s nuclear program, had earlier sought to reassure Iranians, saying there would be no disruption to state affairs.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Mon May 20, 2024 7:30 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 7:28 pm
From what I've read the one stepping up to take his place is even worse.
That would be right. :roll: