Bushfires

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Black Orchid

Re: Bushfires

Post by Black Orchid » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:06 pm

Gordon wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:24 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:53 pm
They are saying that for every 1 Koala found 100 others are dead. An estimated 25,000 have likely perished on Kangaroo Island. A massive blow for our ever so cute and gentle vulnerable Koalas.

I would like to see harsh and enforceable laws made to stop ALL development anywhere near their habitat from now on.
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet BO.

The cities are being overpopulated with the tailings of the 3rd world so there's more tree change and white flight to bush fire prone areas and wildlife pays the price.
Yep and there's also too many foreign developers allowed free rein in a country they don't care about. All they want are the dollars and to hell with the carnage.

cods

Post by cods » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:39 pm

I was told of a scam today have no proof just hear say.

a Go Fund Me was created for the family of a father and son who lost their lives through the fires
it raised $4000 before it was discovered to be a scam....

just letting you know the mongrels are up to everything..

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:51 pm

Unfortunately there are always people who try to take advantage of other people's misfortune.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:54 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:51 pm
Unfortunately there are always people who try to take advantage of other people's misfortune.
They probably stole lollies at the check-out when they were little! FREE lollies and Mummy didn't notice. :roll:

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:56 pm

I'd like to make a donation but there are so many listed. Is Red Cross still one of the better ones?

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:00 pm

I saw the headline "Why has Canberra's air been so bad for so long". I clicked the link and there is nothing there except a link to follow them on Facebook?

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:51 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:00 pm
I saw the headline "Why has Canberra's air been so bad for so long". I clicked the link and there is nothing there except a link to follow them on Facebook?

Seems you didn't read the full article, Black Orchid:
Why has Canberra's air been so bad for so long?
Adrian Rollins

How bad are Canberra's smoke levels?

By some measures, Canberra has been the world's most polluted city for days, surpassing even notoriously polluted metropolises including Delhi, Karachi and Beijing.

According to Health ACT, as at 11am on Monday the air quality index, which measures the concentration of fine particles in the air smaller than 2.5 microns, was between 320 and 516 across the city, a vast improvement from earlier in the day when levels reached above 2500, but still above the 250 point mark which indicates extremely hazardous pollution.
The National Gallery of Australia closed its doors due to smoke affecting the artwork. Picture: Elesa Kurtz

According to canberraair.com, which uses hourly air quality readings, pollution levels were even lower, between 79 and 110 by early afternoon on Monday.

The air quality index exceeded 4400 points on Sunday, and reached 4650 on New Year's Day.

Why has the index stayed so high even though conditions are clearing?

Official readings from ACT Health are based on a 24-hour rolling average of readings from three monitoring stations, in Florey, Civic and Monash. This is the measure prescribed under the National Environment Protection Measure agreed to by the states and territories.

Also, because Health ACT uses a 24-hour rolling average, its index will move more slowly than changes in hourly pollution readings, such as those published by canberraair.com or the AirRater app.

Why do readings differ so much between sources?

The air quality index is arrived at by applying a multiple to actual particle readings.

Because this multiple is not standardised, organisations can arrive at a different index based on the same actual reading.

Why has the smoke been hanging around Canberra?

For most of the past month Canberra has sat in the path of smoke coming from massive bushfires on the South Coast. While westerly winds during the day have tended to bring clearer air, in the evenings on shore winds have prevailed, blowing smoke from the coastal firegrounds west toward and over Canberra.

This situation has been exacerbated in recent days as large fires to Canberra's south and west have developed, increasing the amount of smoke blowing across the capital from multiple directions.

How bad is the bushfire smoke for my health?

Health studies have found a significant association between particle pollution and health problems including asthma attacks, bronchitis, heart attack and cardiac arrhythmia.

Fine particles of less than 2.5 microns are thought to pose the greatest health risk because the can lodge deep in the lungs and even enter the bloodstream, impairing breathing and potentially damaging tissues.

In a paper on the health effects of climate change, the Australian Medical Association warned in 2015 that "increased frequency and intensity of bushfires, drought and dust storms, with corresponding acute increases in [particulate matter] is ... likely to lead to increased asthma exacerbations, respiratory medication use and hospital admissions for asthma and other respiratory conditions".

Scientific studies have found even short-term exposure is associated with increased rates of hospitalisation, and prolonged exposure is associated with serious health problems. The World Health Organisation attributes millions of deaths each year to the effects of ambient air pollution.

Health ACT warns lengthy exposure can aggravate existing lung conditions such as chronic bronchitis, emphysema and asthma, and can worsen chronic heart problems.Bigger smoke particles, between 2.5 and 10 microns, can irritate eyes, nose, mouth and breathing passages, but the body is better able to filter these larger particles.

Who is most at risk?

People with respiratory conditions, children, the elderly and pregnant women are considered to be most vulnerable to the health effects of smoke.

What can I do to lessen my risk?

Health ACT has advised people to stay indoors where possible, and to avoid using evaporative air coolers, which draw on outside air.

The department says that ordinary paper face masks are not effective at filtering smoke, but do not cause any harm.

Evidence shows that P2 and N95 masks do filter some smoke, but because they are difficult to fit and use effectively Health ACT says such masks cannot completely eliminate smoke exposure and staying indoors is the best option to protect your health.

Air purifiers fitted with HEPA filters can remove PM2.5 particles from the air, but need to matched to room size to be most effective.

Does air conditioning make the air safe?

Even if your building is fitted with ducted or reverse-cycle, as opposed to evaporative, air conditioning, that does not mean the air is safe.

While air conditioning systems may filter out larger particles, unless they are fitted with the right kind of filter they will not remove fine PM2.5 particles from the air.
:rofl :rofl
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:04 pm

brian ross wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:51 pm
Black Orchid wrote:

Adrian Rollins

By some measures, Canberra has been the world's most polluted city for days, surpassing even notoriously polluted metropolises including Delhi, Karachi and Beijing.

According to Health ACT, as at 11am on Monday the air quality index, which measures the concentration of fine particles in the air smaller than 2.5 microns, was between 320 and 516 across the city, a vast improvement from earlier in the day when levels reached above 2500, but still above the 250 point mark which indicates extremely hazardous pollution.
The National Gallery of Australia closed its doors due to smoke affecting the artwork. Picture: Elesa Kurtz

According to canberraair.com, which uses hourly air quality readings, pollution levels were even lower, between 79 and 110 by early afternoon on Monday.

The air quality index exceeded 4400 points on Sunday, and reached 4650 on New Year's Day.

Official readings from ACT Health are based on a 24-hour rolling average of readings from three monitoring stations, in Florey, Civic and Monash. This is the measure prescribed under the National Environment Protection Measure agreed to by the states and territories.

Also, because Health ACT uses a 24-hour rolling average, its index will move more slowly than changes in hourly pollution readings, such as those published by canberraair.com or the AirRater app.

The air quality index is arrived at by applying a multiple to actual particle readings.

Because this multiple is not standardised, organisations can arrive at a different index based on the same actual reading.

For most of the past month Canberra has sat in the path of smoke coming from massive bushfires on the South Coast. While westerly winds during the day have tended to bring clearer air, in the evenings on shore winds have prevailed, blowing smoke from the coastal firegrounds west toward and over Canberra.

This situation has been exacerbated in recent days as large fires to Canberra's south and west have developed, increasing the amount of smoke blowing across the capital from multiple directions.

Health studies have found a significant association between particle pollution and health problems including asthma attacks, bronchitis, heart attack and cardiac arrhythmia.

Fine particles of less than 2.5 microns are thought to pose the greatest health risk because the can lodge deep in the lungs and even enter the bloodstream, impairing breathing and potentially damaging tissues.

In a paper on the health effects of climate change, the Australian Medical Association warned in 2015 that "increased frequency and intensity of bushfires, drought and dust storms, with corresponding acute increases in [particulate matter] is ... likely to lead to increased asthma exacerbations, respiratory medication use and hospital admissions for asthma and other respiratory conditions".

Scientific studies have found even short-term exposure is associated with increased rates of hospitalisation, and prolonged exposure is associated with serious health problems. The World Health Organisation attributes millions of deaths each year to the effects of ambient air pollution.

Health ACT warns lengthy exposure can aggravate existing lung conditions such as chronic bronchitis, emphysema and asthma, and can worsen chronic heart problems.Bigger smoke particles, between 2.5 and 10 microns, can irritate eyes, nose, mouth and breathing passages, but the body is better able to filter these larger particles.

Who is most at risk?

People with respiratory conditions, children, the elderly and pregnant women are considered to be most vulnerable to the health effects of smoke.

Health ACT has advised people to stay indoors where possible, and to avoid using evaporative air coolers, which draw on outside air.

The department says that ordinary paper face masks are not effective at filtering smoke, but do not cause any harm.

Evidence shows that P2 and N95 masks do filter some smoke, but because they are difficult to fit and use effectively Health ACT says such masks cannot completely eliminate smoke exposure and staying indoors is the best option to protect your health.

Air purifiers fitted with HEPA filters can remove PM2.5 particles from the air, but need to matched to room size to be most effective.

Even if your building is fitted with ducted or reverse-cycle, as opposed to evaporative, air conditioning, that does not mean the air is safe.

While air conditioning systems may filter out larger particles, unless they are fitted with the right kind of filter they will not remove fine PM2.5 particles from the air.
Why thank you Brian for displaying the article but it's not a matter of me not reading the full article. IT DID NOT SHOW ON MY COMPUTER!! Did you happen to see me mention the page was blank except for a Facebook link?

I am in no mood for your hate filled and ignorant arrogance today. Thank you for showing the article but now you can GGF!!

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:54 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:04 pm
brian ross wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:51 pm
Black Orchid wrote:

Adrian Rollins

Who is most at risk?

Why thank you Brian for displaying the article but it's not a matter of me not reading the full article. IT DID NOT SHOW ON MY COMPUTER!! Did you happen to see me mention the page was blank except for a Facebook link?

I am in no mood for your hate filled and ignorant arrogance today. Thank you for showing the article but now you can GGF!!
Oh, dearie, dearie, me. Poor, poor, Black Orchid. You really need to stop being a silly sausage when your criticised. :roll
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:07 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: