Science Updates

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
AiA in Atlanta

Re: Science Updates

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:58 am

Finding Earth 2.0 and getting there are very, very different, aren't they? Sadly, it is the getting there we won't get to see ...

Chard

Post by Chard » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:44 am

AiA in Atlanta wrote:Finding Earth 2.0 and getting there are very, very different, aren't they? Sadly, it is the getting there we won't get to see ...
First you need a destination, then you can plan the trip.
Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy the FEAR to attack. - Dr. Strangelove

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:02 am

A guy found unreleased photos of the Challenger disaster in his grandparents’ attic

http://imgur.com/a/6t1HW

Guadaloop

Post by Guadaloop » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:36 pm

This is deep.

boxy

Post by boxy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:00 am

LucasTheInnkeeper wrote:
AiA in Atlanta wrote:A guy found unreleased photos of the Challenger disaster in his grandparents’ attic

http://imgur.com/a/6t1HW

Crazy shots there. :shock:
Ja... MeToo...

Um, wait... no. They look pretty standard. :hush
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Chard

Post by Chard » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:22 am

And now we see why it is I firmly believe that creating NASA was the single stupidest thing President Eisenhower did while in office (Yes, even dumber than starting initial US military involvement in Vietnam). Had they left this in the hands of the Air Force we'd have two to three generations of single-stage-to-orbit spacecraft capable of taking off and landing on any runway over 2500m in length, have permanent manned stations at multiple Earth and Lunar Lagrange points, and probably be fairly well established on goddamn Mars by now. They took space flight away from people who saw it as a logical extension of the "higher, faster" of military aviation, had several times the budget to use on the problem, and were motivated from national security and gave it to an organization that's more interested in moon gazing than moon landing.

Seriously, look around you. I bet there are at least six things in just visual range of you right now that were derived from technologies originally created for military use. I'm talking to you right now using two of them. Military research projects push the limits of technology forward far faster than civilian projects simply because of the change in motivation from "can I make money with this" to "can I kill the ever loving shit out of my enemies with this".
Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy the FEAR to attack. - Dr. Strangelove

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:48 am

protected article so could not paste it in.

Robots sex... is the future.

The future looks bright but not for us.... in the long run. Do we have a choice.... I don't think so. It is a matter of when.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/1058 ... earth.html
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:49 am

Now we all find out that there are no black holes .... and get this:
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Dr. Stephen Hawking’s recent statement that the black holes he famously described do not actually exist underscores “the danger inherent in listening to scientists,” Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minnesota) said today.

Rep. Bachmann unleashed a blistering attack on Dr. Hawking, who earlier referred to his mistake on black holes as his “biggest blunder.”

“Actually, Dr. Hawking, our biggest blunder as a society was ever listening to people like you,” said Rep. Bachmann. “If black holes don’t exist, then other things you scientists have been trying to foist on us probably don’t either, like climate change and evolution.”

Rep. Bachmann added that all the students who were forced to learn about black holes in college should now sue Dr. Hawking for a full refund. “Fortunately for me, I did not take any science classes in college,” she said.

Bachmann’s anti-Hawking comments seemed to be gaining traction on Capitol Hill, as seen from the statement by Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), Chairman of the House Science Committee, who said, “Going forward, members of the House Science Committee will do our best to avoid listening to scientists.”

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:59 am

^^^ right-wing, anti-science kuunts like Bachmann don't understand that scientific hypotheses come and go ... that is just the way of science.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:14 am

yeah Hawking's made a few odd statements in recent times... so how was he explaining away the "photographic" imagery then?
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD