At the Movies...

Discuss Movies, TV, Music and general entertainment here
Rorschach

Re: At the Movies...

Post by Rorschach » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:51 am

There are about 6 well known film versions... the one I saw was described as the original film version, it was in B&W and did not have Toshiro Mifune in it. I'm pretty sure it was the 1941 movie.
So getting back to my original question... anyone seen it yet?
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Chard

Post by Chard » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:03 pm

Oh god... Keanu is playing Kai. Seriously, who the fuck green lit this? They've inexplicably cast a white guy as a Japanese guy. I might go see this just for the sheer what-the-fuck factor. After watching a few promo clips and hearing all the Japanese actors and their accents, Keanu's bland generic American English accent is like suddenly having someone pour a bucket of ice water on your junk.
Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy the FEAR to attack. - Dr. Strangelove

boxy

Post by boxy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:14 pm

Saw Django Unchained the other day. 3/10 for me. Sure, well done, and all, but meh. Bad guy slave trader get's owned by super-human good guy who happens to be a black man he invites into his inner sanctum.

Plz.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

boxy

Post by boxy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:17 pm

Neferti~ wrote:I caught a movie called Red Dog the other day on Foxtel. I didn't know it existed. An Aussie one (2011) and I found it quite good. Apparently based on a true story (embellished). Had a little cry in spots.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803061
5/10.

Tear jerker, sure. And I'm a dog person. But that's all it is, a tear jerker. The dog had no character :P Had high hopes, due to the promo's too.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:41 pm

Chard wrote:Oh god... Keanu is playing Kai. Seriously, who the fuck green lit this? They've inexplicably cast a white guy as a Japanese guy. I might go see this just for the sheer what-the-fuck factor. After watching a few promo clips and hearing all the Japanese actors and their accents, Keanu's bland generic American English accent is like suddenly having someone pour a bucket of ice water on your junk.
Ah no they didn't cast a white guy as a Japanese guy... funny you only talk in colours when the guy is "white". Why stop at "white" why not call the Japanese "yellow"? Bloody racist Americans.

Seen it... hated the voice over, at the beginning and end, Americans always treat audiences as idiots. Hated the dialogue, especially in the first half of the movie.
The effects were good.
But this must have been cut and recut again and again, because one of the major characters on the posters is in it for about 10 seconds.

The Japanese actors are great...
Not sure how the Japanese audience will react to the Hollywoodisation of this story.
I'd give it 5.5/6 out of 10.

Oh and Ko Shibasaki who was great in DORORO... gets wasted in this movie. Get a copy of Dororo, where everyone is great and you'll see what I mean. I do so hope they make a sequel to it soon.
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Chard

Post by Chard » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:53 am

Rorschach wrote:
Chard wrote:Oh god... Keanu is playing Kai. Seriously, who the fuck green lit this? They've inexplicably cast a white guy as a Japanese guy. I might go see this just for the sheer what-the-fuck factor. After watching a few promo clips and hearing all the Japanese actors and their accents, Keanu's bland generic American English accent is like suddenly having someone pour a bucket of ice water on your junk.
Ah no they didn't cast a white guy as a Japanese guy... funny you only talk in colours when the guy is "white". Why stop at "white" why not call the Japanese "yellow"? Bloody racist Americans.
When Keanu fills his census form the box he checks under "ethnicity" is "white (non-hispanic)", you flaming dumbfuck. They have a white guy playing the part of a Japanese guy, and it was jarring enough negate any enjoyment I was getting out of what was an otherwise decent hollywoodization on a foreign classic.
Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy the FEAR to attack. - Dr. Strangelove

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:25 am

Chard wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
When Keanu fills his census form the box he checks under "ethnicity" is "white (non-hispanic)", you flaming dumbfuck. They have a white guy playing the part of a Japanese guy, and it was jarring enough negate any enjoyment I was getting out of what was an otherwise decent hollywoodization on a foreign classic.
You really do need to see about yourself.
I've seen the movie... YOU obviously have not. OR maybe you missed the whole point regarding his character. He isn't playing a Japanese guy... so who is the flaming dumbfuck... I think we all know the answer to that.
Oh and if I'm typing too fast for you to understand things wind back the aggressive crap that spills from your mouth, wipe off the dribble and ask me to type more slowly for you. :du

Chard

Post by Chard » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:14 pm

In order to get Keanu in they had to invent a completely new character, and then explained why the white guy is there by saying "Oh, he's half japanese", never mind the fact that he does not even remotely look Japanese. It's a fucking cop out and it fucking ruined the movie. For fuck's sake, they could have had the exact same movie without Keanu's character and it would have been better for it. The character adds nothing to the story and only serves as a vehicle to inexplicably add someone who isn't Japanese to a movie set in a time when the only non-Japanese in Japan were restricted to a single fucking trade enclave. It makes about as much sense as them giving Oishi a black sidekick for comedic relief.

My problem isn't with Keanu's race, you blithering fucking idiot. It's with the bullshit story gymnastics they had to go to in order to put a character that simply does not belong into this film and the fact that Keanu Reeves is a terrible fucking actor.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:00 pm

Oh oh... wait are you back pedalling faster than the road runner without an apology?
Of course you are.
He spends the whole movie being referred to a THE HALF-BREED or a demon or a monster.

BTW, I've always thought he looked a bit Asian actually.
My problem isn't with Keanu's race, you blithering fucking idiot.

Yet you were the one who brought it up you blithering fucking idiot.

I already commented on the movie... you've been ranting and raving and calling me names in amongst the aggression and expletives. :roll:

Personally, I think they should have called the movie something else... that'd solve a few problems, I and others have with it. Some decent dialogue would be good too.

I'll be sure to tell them not to bother you for dialogue ideas or they'll end up with 47 Beverly Hills Cops. SFBs

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:32 pm

Chard wrote:
Ah Ha. So in the good Ole USofA there are many "racist" titles. White - check. Hispanic - check. Dark - check. Medium Dark - check, Light dark - check. Plus all the others ... Polish, Japanese, Chinese, Bolongese, Spaghetteniese and so forth. What a RACIST country the USA is. You don't even like your own citizens!