At the Movies...

Discuss Movies, TV, Music and general entertainment here
Rorschach

Re: At the Movies...

Post by Rorschach » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:04 pm

How about you put it in the books topic? :roll: :roll: :roll:
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

mellie

Post by mellie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:17 pm

mellie wrote:
Chard wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Funny you should mention that... I can't stand Stephen King either, can't read his books, it's like trying to wade through molasses.
I despise King for the same reasons I hate reading J.R.R. Tolkien and Anne Rice.

All three are great at descriptive narrative, but they tend to tell you instead of show you. They describe things at such length and detail that it drains the life right out of things, leaving me with the sense I'd read an after-action report of events instead of a narrative of events as they happen.

All three are fucking horrible at character development, with their protagonists not really learning and growing from their experiences so much as leaving them more psychologically scared than an Auschwitz survivor. Instead of reading about a person or a group that develops and grow as people, there by giving the audience a reason to actually give a shit about them, we get card-board cut-outs and Mary Sue/Marty Stu. They blunder their way from one horror to the next, suffering, but never learning,and never mind imparting any real message or subtext to the reader. They expect you to give a shit about their misunderstood bisexual male fantasy (Lestat from Rice's Vampire novels), their saint-like hard-working average Joe (Stu Redman from King's The Stand), or some whinging midget (Frodo Baggins from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings). Not sure about the rest of you, but I find their assumption that I should give a shit about their goddamn Mary Sue/Marty Stu creations more than a little insulting.

All three are terrible at plot development and flow. They over use flash backs and jumping from character viewpoints and narrative perspectives so often it forces the reader to spend more time sorting out what the hell is going on and less time enjoying the story. Tolkien was particularly bad about this with the Lord of the Rings (This link here gives you an idea of how needlessly complex Tolkien got writing a story about two midgets walking to a volcano).

/rant But yeah, Stephen King is a terrible, terrible person that should never be allowed to write a grocery list, much less a novel.
I'm not a Stephen King fan either, least wasn’t past the age of around 15, when I simultaneously stopped reading Dean Koontz novels also.
I figured, I simply outgrew this genre.

How about George Orwell or Dan Brown?

8-)
Well, you were discussing movies, based on books, and discussing the readability of their novels also, were you not?

I like Dan Browns books and movies, and George Orwell’s book-come-movies ie Animal farm and 1984 also.

The film 1984 less so however.

The book was much better.

8-)

Chard

Post by Chard » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:55 am

mellie wrote:I like Dan Browns books and movies,
I honestly didn't care for The Da Vinci Code, the movie or the book. The story is loaded with plot holes, and the entire cast acted like they'd been slipped a strong tranquilizer for the shoot (except the weird Albino priest guy, that fucker was on meth). The worst was having to watch Tom Hanks, an actor I actually admire, have to give voice to the stilted dialogue. I guess Tom needed money to make a payment on his fifth house or some shit. On the bright side, Audrey Tautou (seriously, go watch Amélie, it totally redeems what an utter shitfest French cinima really is)was her usual devastatingly cute self, and I could pass off her constantly confused look in this movie to her being French and not having any idea what the fuck was going on in the story.

The best thing to come from either the book or movie The Da Vinci Code is still the mountains of wailing and gnashing of teeth by fundamentalist Christians over a work of absolute fiction.

I've read Angels and Demons, didn't care for it, didn't bother with the movie.
Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy the FEAR to attack. - Dr. Strangelove

annielaurie

Post by annielaurie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Chard wrote: I honestly didn't care for The Da Vinci Code, the movie or the book ...

The best thing to come from either the book or movie The Da Vinci Code is still the mountains of wailing and gnashing of teeth by fundamentalist Christians over a work of absolute fiction ...

I've read Angels and Demons, didn't care for it, didn't bother with the movie ...
I honestly thought exactly the same as you about The Da Vinci Code, both the movie and the book. And I too think Audrey Tautou is adorable and would watch most any film with her in it, just because of the way she is ..

mellie

Post by mellie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:35 pm

annielaurie wrote:
Chard wrote: I honestly didn't care for The Da Vinci Code, the movie or the book ...

The best thing to come from either the book or movie The Da Vinci Code is still the mountains of wailing and gnashing of teeth by fundamentalist Christians over a work of absolute fiction ...

I've read Angels and Demons, didn't care for it, didn't bother with the movie ...
I honestly thought exactly the same as you about The Da Vinci Code, both the movie and the book. And I too think Audrey Tautou is adorable and would watch most any film with her in it, just because of the way she is ..
Chtard would like us to think he's clever annie...
http://www.christianity9to5.org/wp-cont ... ers3-5.pdf
plagiarised from source: 7%

The Da Vinci Code, the movie or the

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/keyw ... o-da-vinci
plagiarised from source: 7%

14% of his take on Dan Brown was plagiarised.

8-)

Chard

Post by Chard » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:37 am

mellie wrote:14% of his take on Dan Brown was plagiarised.
Oh wow, you mean I happen to have an opinion that other people share as well? Holyshit! Stop the fuckin' presses, Mellie just discovered that multiple people can arrive at the same conclusion independently!

Or, more realistically, Angels and Demons was a terrible movie based on a terrible novel, hence the dislike of the film is common. Even better, if we use your absurd definition of plagiarism, anyone who renders an opinion that's similar to the opinion of someone else then they're guilty of plagiarism. Do you see how absurd that concept is or do you need me to use smaller words so your uneducated plebeian ass can understand it better?
Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy the FEAR to attack. - Dr. Strangelove

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Ben Affleck to be Bruce Wayne/Batman in Man of Steel 2.
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Ben Affleck is a good choice imo. If it doesn't follow on from the previous Superman, which I haven't seen, I might make the effort to go and see it.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Yes my first reaction was he'd make a good Batman.

But I have had thoughts since about his narrow face and long chin in a Batman cowl not looking quite right...

The Artist formerly known as Sappho

Post by The Artist formerly known as Sappho » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:13 pm

Black Orchid wrote:Ben Affleck is a good choice imo. If it doesn't follow on from the previous Superman, which I haven't seen, I might make the effort to go and see it.
Well, just based on their bio's alone, I'll be seeing the movie.