Science Updates

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
IQS.RLOW

Re: Science Updates

Post by IQS.RLOW » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:21 am

They don't need to spend big on tech...the tech follows them.
Never heard of the VHS vs BETA war?
Quote by Aussie: I was a long term dead beat, wife abusing, drunk, black Muslim, on the dole for decades prison escapee having been convicted of paedophilia

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:20 pm

Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:08 am

lol ^^^

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Scientists hail 'potential cure for AIDS'
Scientists from the Queensland Institute of Medical Research say they have made a breakthrough that could lead to a potential cure for AIDS.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-16/s ... ds/4466766

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Neferti~ wrote:Scientists hail 'potential cure for AIDS'
Scientists from the Queensland Institute of Medical Research say they have made a breakthrough that could lead to a potential cure for AIDS.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-16/s ... ds/4466766
I consider that this is fighting fire with fire," he said.

"What we've actually done is taken a normal virus protein that the virus needs to grow, and we've changed this protein, so that instead of assisting the virus, it actually impedes virus replication and does it quite strongly."

This is big news. I see it was only announced a few hours ago. I am suprised it's not all over the media. Another major contribution from aussie innovation and out of the box thinking.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:12 pm

Maybe Mattus can offer an informed comment. For me....have we not seen this many times before about e.g. cancer.....especially this time of year when the Press is struggling to get columns filled?

I mean:
...a breakthrough that could lead to a potential cure for AIDS.
Laced with weazel escape words.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:37 pm

Aussie wrote:Maybe Mattus can offer an informed comment. For me....have we not seen this many times before about e.g. cancer.....especially this time of year when the Press is struggling to get columns filled?

I mean:
...a breakthrough that could lead to a potential cure for AIDS.
Laced with weazel escape words.
Fair comment. I have heard too man promises and your observation of the word "potential" is a good one.

However I thought the article was balanced in that even if it is not a cure it could (another weasel word) "potentially" end the disease.
"This therapy is potentially a cure for AIDS," he said.

"So it's not a cure for HIV infection, but it potentially could end the disease.

"So this protein present in immune cells would help to maintain a healthy immune system so patients can handle normal infections."
The explaination makes sense and doesn't over promise. So I am inclined to believe this more than many I have read.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:10 pm

The US space agency (Nasa) says it is now ready for its Curiosity rover to start drilling on Mars.

A target patch of ground has been chosen in an area that contains a diverse range of rocks, many of which were clearly deposited in water.

Read more:

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:20 pm

Huh.......is that an image of the surface of Mars?

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:03 am

Aussie wrote:Huh.......is that an image of the surface of Mars?
Yes. It is a view close up. See 1cm scale, it looks familar doesn't it.