Science Updates

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Rorschach

Re: Science Updates

Post by Rorschach » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:27 am

There is a review of Prometheus in "At the Movies".
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 am

Wow. This is a serious issue.

Another example of the short sightedness of humankind.

I was not aware that Helium is not renewable. It makes sense is it is inert and is one of 2 elements created in the big bang.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02423/balloon_2423990b.jpg[/img]]
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:35 am

Yeah, I had heard that report about helium as well recently. I think mankind can do without balloons if necessary.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:51 am

Link fixed

Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:14 am

I have been watching with interest over the years and I think this is a compelling theory. Many myths and legends are based on an historic figure or event.

Noah's Ark Great Flood may have happened, says Robert Ballard
The Great Flood as featured in the Biblical story of Noah's Ark may have happened, according to Robert Ballard, the underwater archaeologist who found the Titanic.
Link below...

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:26 am

It may well have happened and many have brought up "proof" of it in the past, there's even a site on a mountain in turkey with a fossilised wood structure. But I doubt that 2(M&F) of every living creature was ever taken on board.
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:30 pm

A giant asteroid will make a flyby of Earth over the next few days, and armchair astronomers can watch the action live on their computers.

The near-Earth asteroid 4179 Toutatis, which is about 5km wide, will zoom within 7 million km of Earth during its closest approach. That's too far away to pose any impact threat on this pass, but close enough to put on a pretty good show through top-notch telescopes, researchers say.

And some of those scopes will be tracking Toutatis' movements for the benefit of skywatchers around the world. The online Slooh Space Camera and Virtual Telescope Project, for example, will both stream live, free footage of the asteroid from professional-quality observatories.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/technology/new ... ass-earth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone interested can watch it here ...

http://www.virtualtelescope.eu/webtv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boxy

Post by boxy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:02 pm

AiA in Atlanta wrote:Yeah, I had heard that report about helium as well recently. I think mankind can do without balloons if necessary.
We should be doing without them now, and saving the helium for actual useful, scientific stuffs.

As I understand it, the US stockpiled a shitload of it, so much so that it was costing them millions to store it, so then they started selling it off at a ridiculously low price, to just to get rid of it.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:58 pm

boxy wrote:
AiA in Atlanta wrote:Yeah, I had heard that report about helium as well recently. I think mankind can do without balloons if necessary.
We should be doing without them now, and saving the helium for actual useful, scientific stuffs.

As I understand it, the US stockpiled a shitload of it, so much so that it was costing them millions to store it, so then they started selling it off at a ridiculously low price, to just to get rid of it.
Totally. 2 weeks ago we had 50 balloons for my daugthers party. She loves them. All the kids love them.

I am disturbed by how short term our view is. What risks or wasted opportunities will this present in the future. This valuable resource cannot be replaced is news to me.

Time to buy shares in these companies.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:07 am

What's the point? Homosexuality was illegal at the time of Alan Turing's conviction. Do we now posthumously pardon all the witches burned at the stake? FFS.

Alan Turing: Scientists call for pardon for codebreaker

Some of Britain's leading scientists have called on the government to grant a posthumous pardon to Bletchley Park codebreaker Alan Turing.

Turing was convicted of gross indecency in 1952 after acknowledging a sexual relationship with a man.