Science Updates

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
annielaurie

Re: Science Updates

Post by annielaurie » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:43 am

Actually now I remember reading about the water on Mercury, I had forgotten until now. That's fascinating.

As for Venus, it has been photographed as a smoldering hell hole, whose surface and atmospheric temps are hotter than a pottery kiln. They say no water could remain in liquid form there,
The atmosphere of Venus is much denser and hotter than that of Earth. The temperature at the surface is 740 K (467 °C, 872 °F), while the pressure is 93 bar.

The Venusian atmosphere supports opaque clouds made of sulfuric acid, making optical Earth-based and orbital observation of the surface impossible.

Information about the topography has been obtained exclusively by radar imaging.

The main atmospheric gases are carbon dioxide and nitrogen. Other chemical compounds are present only in trace amounts .........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Venus
:hot

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:35 am

VOYAGER 1

WHEN the Voyager 1 spacecraft launched from the fields of Cape Canaveral in late 1977 en route to Jupiter, Saturn and their moons, the probe's planetary tour was expected to last just five years.

Three decades and three months later the pioneering craft has reached the edge of the solar system, having completed its original mission as well as fly-bys of Uranus and Neptune.

Sometime in the coming months - no one is quite sure of the exact timing - Voyager 1 will cross the boundary where the sun's magnetic influence ends and the cooler regions of interstellar space begin, a place no man-made object has reached.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/technology/sci ... z2EDvFGX5Q
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:57 am

Cannot wait for this next installment of Star Trek
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:04 am

Super Nova wrote:Cannot wait for this next installment of Star Trek
Yep, I will be seeing this one as long as there isn't a William Shatner cameo ...

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:13 am

AiA in Atlanta wrote:
Super Nova wrote:Cannot wait for this next installment of Star Trek
Yep, I will be seeing this one as long as there isn't a William Shatner cameo ...
The can't. Only Spock can get an appearance. New timeline and all that... unless.... they do some timeline shit.

I liked the new star trek.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:14 am

I'll have to watch the latest one again as I have forgotten the story but recall being relieved to see an aged Leonard Nimoy and not the bloated William Shatner.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Would you be discussing an AT THE MOVIES topic there gentlemen?
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:59 am

Rorschach wrote:Would you be discussing an AT THE MOVIES topic there gentlemen?
Wow, are you the new thread and topic nazi. Let's see if I can do better with a mix of science and politics in my next post.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:03 am

This article hit the nail on the head. We have to stop with our consumption based ecconomies and focus on the longer term for the benefit of the planet and future life. Politics needs to change.

Wanted: a new politics to save Planet Earth

HUMANKIND'S greatest crisis coincides with the rise of an ideology that makes it impossible to tackle. By the late 1980s, when it became clear that man-made climate change endangered the living planet and its people, the world was in the grip of an extreme political doctrine whose tenets forbid the kind of intervention required to arrest it.

Read more just click...

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:30 am

Super Nova wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Would you be discussing an AT THE MOVIES topic there gentlemen?
Wow, are you the new thread and topic nazi. Let's see if I can do better with a mix of science and politics in my next post.
This from the religion nazi :rofl :rofl :rofl

How you can take offence at that is beyond me... just pointed out there is a topic on movies SN. :roll: