Science Updates

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Super Nova

Re: Science Updates

Post by Super Nova » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:00 am

mantra wrote:Humans inhabited Australia at least 50,000 years ago.

How can scientists determine that the tooth is that old? The giant platypus may not have become extinct - just modified itself to the environment over millions of years. As the climate has changed - perhaps the teeth became unnecessary due to a change in diet which was needed for survival.

50K years. I stand corrected. (I thought it was 20K)

the article explicitly states the current platypus is not a descendant of this one. So they must have had a common ancestor.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

boxy

Post by boxy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:09 pm

They usually date fossils by carbon dating something in the same layer of rock.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:26 pm

mantra wrote:Humans inhabited Australia at least 50,000 years ago.

How can scientists determine that the tooth is that old? The giant platypus may not have become extinct - just modified itself to the environment over millions of years. As the climate has changed - perhaps the teeth became unnecessary due to a change in diet which was needed for survival.
You do realise that you were once a Gibbon?

:rofl :rofl

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:38 am

Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:00 am

:rofl :rofl :rofl
I think it is very odd that someone who doesn't want his science topic tarnished by religious commentary is always the one to bring it up. :roll: :roll: :roll:
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:45 am

Rorschach wrote::rofl :rofl :rofl
I think it is very odd that someone who doesn't want his science topic tarnished by religious commentary is always the one to bring it up. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I don't recall taking that position.

Understanding the universe is a path to enlightenment.

I wish the promises of religion and eternal life were true. Religion fought a war with science until the evidence could not be hushed up. I consider its days are numbered. Not replaced by science but only has a place in the minds of those who cannot handle the reality we are not special and are just smart animals where each individual is in signification in space and time.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Super Nova wrote:
Rorschach wrote::rofl :rofl :rofl
I don't recall taking that position.

Understanding the universe is a path to enlightenment.

I wish the promises of religion and eternal life were true. Religion fought a war with science until the evidence could not be hushed up. I consider its days are numbered. Not replaced by science but only has a place in the minds of those who cannot handle the reality we are not special and are just smart animals where each individual is in signification in space and time.
Short memory... maybe if you start back at the beginning they might still be there. :c
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:47 pm

I thought is was funny and this thread would be as good a place as any to share it. that's all.

Glad you enjoyed it :thumb

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Oh I thought it was funny... if I was a bible basher though, of any persuasion, it would be offensive.
Like I said, you have been the one not wanting religion brought up here... which in my opinion is fair enough.

boxy

Post by boxy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:51 am

Still just picking out the non-conservative humour to whinge about, I see, Roachy :thumb
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."