Matildas Bid For The Paris Olympics

Discuss sport related and outdoor activities here
UnSubRocky

Re: Matildas Bid For The Paris Olympics

Post by UnSubRocky » Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:38 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:37 pm
That was 8 years ago and their best players were overseas at the time. No comparison to what they are doing now.
A second 11 national side should be good enough, and almost as good enough as their first 11 side to beat a bunch of 14 year olds. Are you saying that if the current Matildas side at full strength played a new team of U/15s boys from some regional soccer team that they would not lose 7-0?

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:02 pm

The USA World Champions women got beat by a male adolescent team as well, years back. Maybe the women fear a fight erupting? :P

Who knows why this is the case? I'm sure the Socceroos would allow a team of adolescent girls beat them as well ;)

But on par - the Matildas are doing better than the Socceroos - that's saying something at least.

Aquarius

Post by Aquarius » Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:25 pm

I didn't watch the match and even if it was going to be on at a normal time slot I wouldn't have watched. The problem is they have been too hyped up ... do they really think they just have to run onto the field to win? Germany is a top soccer nation and their women's team is full of top class players who are prepared to give their all.

From what I saw on the News, it would have been nice to see the Tillies actually make some effort. Somehow I think it was beyond them. :-[

ps ... half the team are damn lesbians! :o

pps ... their FIFA ranking is only 12th in the world. And yet Denmark with less than 6 million population is 13th!

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:03 am

I watched the whole game. They were out classed by perfectly executed set moves by a team a level above our girls.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Sun Jul 28, 2024 3:23 pm

Apparently if they don't 'win' they're next match - they're out!

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:42 pm

Matildas won 6-5 against Zambia. 5-2 down well into the second half they came back with a flourish.

Gustavsson should have put Michelle Heyman on earlier. I don't agree with a lot of his line-up decisions. Sometimes it seems like he's working for the other side.

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:46 pm

Wow! Just tried to find a highlights clip, but no luck. Would be good to see. Probably have to wait a week.
Depends BO. Some players are good against some teams, but not others. I do believe though, that if things aren't moving forward to some degree of advantage, then don't hesitate to even replace the best player by half-time.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Mon Jul 29, 2024 6:47 pm

Gustavsson made 3 substitutions with 30 minutes to go and they then landed 4 goals and the win. I didn't watch it live but I saw the extended highlights on Channel 9 this morning.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:00 pm

Gustavsson has been sacked. A good decision imo.

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Sat Aug 03, 2024 2:08 pm

Wow!
Well there you go. You were right BO. :thumb