Is the Xmas bonus good for the economy?

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
boxy

Re: Is the Xmas bonus good for the economy?

Post by boxy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:13 pm

What caused this crisis?

People spending more than they had and defaulting on loans that they should never have been given.

Solution... throw cash at people and tell them to willfully spend "for the economy" regardless of their debt situation.

Fark. We have become a nation of consumers, where those who live within their means are seen as the loons.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Rainbow Moonlight

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:15 pm

I think it has to be good for the economy- can't see it any other way. Means more money will be spent, supporting more businesses and jobs than otherwise.

Same with the infrastructure spending, and I see the housing grant increase has increased housing loan applications recently.
The Rudd government is responding very well to the crisis.

mantra.

Post by mantra. » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:34 pm

It did seem Rudd was making a lot of mistakes at first - but it looks like he's coming good if the polls are right. This bonus appears to be doing its job in boosting the economy - but will it work in the long term - or just over the Xmas period? Apparently there are going to be a lot of people losing their jobs over the next few months as the multinationals slash costs at the expense of employees.

boxy

Post by boxy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:40 pm

It's quite easy to be on top of the polls when you're dolling out free money.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Rainbow Moonlight

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:47 pm

But he was on the top of the polls when he wasn't doling out money.

Hebe

Post by Hebe » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:55 am

Those who seek to understand the Rudd phenomenon make the mistake of looking at one issue or event in isolation. Lately, the Opposition has used the mantra that Rudd could barely be expected to be unpopular while he’s hurling the cash about.

This kind of pondering neglects the fact that Kevin Rudd has ruled the roost in the preferred Prime Minister stakes since he became Opposition leader in December 2006. He has not been headed once. That’s quite an achievement considering he’s only been PM for 12 months.
http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/ ... ntre/P150/
The better I get to know people, the more I find myself loving dogs.

freediver

Post by freediver » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:18 pm

His timing was great. Howard was really on the nose with the electorate by the time Rudd turned up, and there had been such a dearth of good competition, either from Labor or within the Coalition.

boxy

Post by boxy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:59 pm

Indeed... he's been riding on the honeymoon period of both the new opposition leader, and then the new Prime Minister, and as soon as things start turning to shit, he starts throwing money (my money) about, just like Howard.

Got kids? Here, have a <s>baby bonus</s> fiscal stimulus handout.

Rainbow Moonlight

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:55 am

How much money do you think it takes to raise kids? More or less than to keep a single person or couple?

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:21 pm

Rainbow Moonlight wrote:How much money do you think it takes to raise kids?
With cup a noodles and severe, Spartan discipline, 700 dollars from birth to Uni.