What's for dinner?

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Black Orchid

Re: What's for dinner?

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:59 am

I'm glad you go to the effort to cook and look after yourself, Bobby. Too many don't.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:11 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:59 am
I'm glad you go to the effort to cook and look after yourself, Bobby. Too many don't.
Thanks BO,
I actually do a minimum of work to end up with something that is tasty. :)

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:59 pm

Ok. I must admit. I'm a lazzzzy cook. If it ain't packaged and can go 'beep' in a microwave in 10mins or less. I'm not interested.
I have had some 'excellent' cooks (professional too) in my relationship years and I guess, that might be where it comes from.
I've always done the dishes, cleaning up instead and that's where my effort was put in. I even made ol' Cods happy when I said I even dry the dishes with tea-towels. I honestly don't like using Washing Machines and would even do everything by sink as volunteer 'cleaner' at Charity Functions, etc.
But when it comes to cooking, especially for myself. Meh. Sometimes I would just order out.
My previous place though, had the environment to get a lot of 'fresh' fish and roo straight off the sea and land. So there was a lot of effort cooking them, but it was well worth it. Spearing my fish is far better than dropping a line in the hope of 'something'? Spearing allowed me to get what I wanted: Big and the right species in a short space of time. Get my fish and get out before Brucey turns up for a bite. Greedy Spearos get bitten.

So kudos to you all for being such good cooks.
Tonight I'm just doing my 4 meat pies in the Microwave with tomato sauce and nothing else. Don't really need to wash the plate after too.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:13 pm

I understand. I've cooked every night for decades but since May I'm now on my own and so no more cooking for me, finally. I'm just not interested in cooking anymore.

I bake occasionally but as for cooking meals I just can't be bothered lol. Occasionally I'll cook a steak or a piece of fish but that's about the extent of it. One pan.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:30 pm

Jasin wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:59 pm
Ok. I must admit. I'm a lazzzzy cook. If it ain't packaged and can go 'beep' in a microwave in 10mins or less. I'm not interested.
I have had some 'excellent' cooks (professional too) in my relationship years and I guess, that might be where it comes from.
I've always done the dishes, cleaning up instead and that's where my effort was put in. I even made ol' Cods happy when I said I even dry the dishes with tea-towels. I honestly don't like using Washing Machines and would even do everything by sink as volunteer 'cleaner' at Charity Functions, etc.
But when it comes to cooking, especially for myself. Meh. Sometimes I would just order out.
My previous place though, had the environment to get a lot of 'fresh' fish and roo straight off the sea and land. So there was a lot of effort cooking them, but it was well worth it. Spearing my fish is far better than dropping a line in the hope of 'something'? Spearing allowed me to get what I wanted: Big and the right species in a short space of time. Get my fish and get out before Brucey turns up for a bite. Greedy Spearos get bitten.

So kudos to you all for being such good cooks.
Tonight I'm just doing my 4 meat pies in the Microwave with tomato sauce and nothing else. Don't really need to wash the plate after too.

4 meat pies in the Microwave - :WTF

Isn't one pie enough?
Are you obese?
Microwaves are only good for unthawing not for baking -
you need an oven.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:32 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:13 pm
I understand. I've cooked every night for decades but since May I'm now on my own and so no more cooking for me, finally. I'm just not interested in cooking anymore.

I bake occasionally but as for cooking meals I just can't be bothered lol. Occasionally I'll cook a steak or a piece of fish but that's about the extent of it. One pan.
Wow - then my meals must look very appetising to you. :)

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:42 pm

They're just those cheapy pies. x6 pies a packet for $5.70 (x2 packets makes for x3 dinners at $11.40).
Far cheaper than your more expensive $12 for just two, etc.
Sure the expensive ones might be nicer, etc.
But I like a nice semi-soft pie which I can pretend its a ghoul'ash hungarian style by choppin them up with ker-nife and fork with added sauces and extras 'mish-mashed' in with them for a 'forky' dinner.
Or I just top em with a sauce. I don't like very 'pasty & dry pasty' pies.
Years of working many jobs, long hours where 'cooking' elaborately is just too inefficient for my time allowances. I've learned to cook things fast and easy without compromising my 'diet' quality. Of course, if I have a lot of time up my sleeve, then I cook more elaborate meals (for me anyway) that take more time. Like my Kangaroo Pasta dish which takes hours in the slow (and low) cooker.
I also have the habit of cooking for 'many nights' in advance bulk style. Again, habit from working long hours and cooking for the working week's dinners in advance. I'm a big fan of Tupperware and when much younger, even hosted a Tupperware Party.

I remember the Pies at Fredrickton up the far north (NSW) coast. You could get Crocodile Pies ( :mrgreen: ), Emu pies (Yum!!!), Wild Boar and more. Very popular Tourist 'stop' upon the main arterial heading north/south. Don't know if its still operating? Last I stopped there, it had different owners and choices of Pies. That's when I tried a Croc Pie. One bite (Snap!) and it was thrown out the window. Yuk-Gross!!

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:42 pm

Bobby wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:32 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:13 pm

Wow - then my meals must look very appetising to you. :)
The fact that Black Orchid is single. Looks appetising to me. :P

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:21 pm

Jasin wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:42 pm
They're just those cheapy pies. x6 pies a packet for $5.70 (x2 packets makes for x3 dinners at $11.40).
Far cheaper than your more expensive $12 for just two, etc.
Sure the expensive ones might be nicer, etc.
But I like a nice semi-soft pie which I can pretend its a ghoul'ash hungarian style by choppin them up with ker-nife and fork with added sauces and extras 'mish-mashed' in with them for a 'forky' dinner.
Or I just top em with a sauce. I don't like very 'pasty & dry pasty' pies.
Years of working many jobs, long hours where 'cooking' elaborately is just too inefficient for my time allowances. I've learned to cook things fast and easy without compromising my 'diet' quality. Of course, if I have a lot of time up my sleeve, then I cook more elaborate meals (for me anyway) that take more time. Like my Kangaroo Pasta dish which takes hours in the slow (and low) cooker.
I also have the habit of cooking for 'many nights' in advance bulk style. Again, habit from working long hours and cooking for the working week's dinners in advance. I'm a big fan of Tupperware and when much younger, even hosted a Tupperware Party.

I remember the Pies at Fredrickton up the far north (NSW) coast. You could get Crocodile Pies ( :mrgreen: ), Emu pies (Yum!!!), Wild Boar and more. Very popular Tourist 'stop' upon the main arterial heading north/south. Don't know if its still operating? Last I stopped there, it had different owners and choices of Pies. That's when I tried a Croc Pie. One bite (Snap!) and it was thrown out the window. Yuk-Gross!!

Yuck - don't those cheap no name pies -
you'll clog up your arteries and need a heart bypass.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:25 pm

Dinner tonight:

Steak, asparagus and noodles with Dijon mustard.