Discuss Movies, TV, Music and general entertainment here
Aquarius

Re: At the Movies...

Post by Aquarius » Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:27 am

Frances wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:40 pm
Sophia wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:25 pm
I get tired in those big shopping centres… it drains me of my energy.
I know what you mean. I try to avoid Westfield Parramatta at all costs. Westfield Hornsby and Westfield Sydney are also on my don't visit unless you have to list. I don't have quite the same reaction to all large shopping centres though - I quite enjoy visiting Castle Towers at Castle Hill.

My local Westfield is Warringah Mall at Brookvale. I liked it better before Westfield took over.

I have been to Parramatta Westfield a couple of times and absolutely hate the parking station.

Frances

Post by Frances » Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:07 pm

Aquarius wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:27 am
My local Westfield is Warringah Mall at Brookvale. I liked it better before Westfield took over.
I have been to Brookvale Mall a number of times (we have some friends who live in Dee Why, so we usually end up around there every now and then).

My local shopping mall is Castle Towers - aside from being more appealing than any of the Westfields, it has the added attraction that it is only a short walk to get there, so I don't have to worry about congested car parks on weekends.

Aquarius wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:27 am
I have been to Parramatta Westfield a couple of times and absolutely hate the parking station.
Me too, or any of the car parks in Parramatta for that matter. If I do have to go there, I'm more likely to catch a bus.

Aquarius

Post by Aquarius » Tue Jul 30, 2024 4:16 pm

My local shopping mall is Castle Towers - aside from being more appealing than any of the Westfields, it has the added attraction that it is only a short walk to get there, so I don't have to worry about congested car parks on weekends.
My DIL used to live in Castle Hill when she and her first husband were transferred to Sydney from Melbourne for their work. That was before she moved to the Blue Mountains. I remember Castle Hill and the Hills district in those days. It was a lovely place. I hope it's still the same? "White flight" territory as the woke lefturds refer to predominantly white areas of Sydney on the north side. Although the last time I was there was about 5 years ago. We shopped in Castle Towers. You're lucky you can walk there.

Me too, or any of the car parks in Parramatta for that matter. If I do have to go there, I'm more likely to catch a bus.
The only reason we were there was because my DIL was in hospital on the occasions she had her two kids. That was Westmead Private and we just popped down the road to Parra to get something to eat in the food court at Westfield. I don't think I would go anywhere near Parramatta these days. It's nothing like it was in the good old days.

Frances

Post by Frances » Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:50 pm

Aquarius wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2024 4:16 pm
My DIL used to live in Castle Hill when she and her first husband were transferred to Sydney from Melbourne for their work. That was before she moved to the Blue Mountains. I remember Castle Hill and the Hills district in those days. It was a lovely place. I hope it's still the same? "White flight" territory as the woke lefturds refer to predominantly white areas of Sydney on the north side. Although the last time I was there was about 5 years ago. We shopped in Castle Towers. You're lucky you can walk there.
It still is pretty much unchanged from what it was 20 or more years ago, just busier and more congested. It's one of the more conservative areas - according to Wikipedia, the Federal electorate, Mitchell, is "the most conservative metropolitan electorate and the second most conservative electorate in Australia after the Division of Maranoa".

The only countries of birth to rate a mention on the ABS web page after Australia are China (2,684); England (1,500); India (1,246); South Korea (927) and South Africa (702).

The funny thing about Castle Towers is that, in spite of its size and the variety of other shops, for supermarkets it only has a Coles and an Aldi. I usually end up going to Baulkham Hills when it comes to supermarket shopping, where I can choose from Woolworths, Coles, Aldi and two IGAs.

Frances

Post by Frances » Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:37 pm

And, back on topic.......

Saw another French movie at the Palace Central today, "Mr Blake, at Your Service!" (or, if you prefer the original title, "Complètement cramé!"), starring John Malkovich and Fanny Ardant. Slightly old fashioned in concept, it was a lovely "feel good" story about a widowed high flying British businessman (Malkovich) who arrives at a French chateau with a dysfunctional owner and small group of equally dysfunctional staff, takes on the position of butler and commences to turn their lives around. Rather gentle, with no sex, nudity or swearing and unexpectedly funny in parts, it was definitely worth seeing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Blake ... r_Service!

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Mon Aug 26, 2024 3:41 pm

I recommend the movies BEFORE SUNRISE, BEFORE SUNSET and BEFORE MIDNIGHT.
Starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy.

These 'three' movies are extraordinary in that they are all 9 years apart 'on purpose' to show via the same two actors (who also contribute in the scripting) the progression of their 'characters' relationship over time. Of how they meet in the first movie... and well, I really don't want to spoil such a good and very casual dialogue, plot. I was spellbound immediately by the first movie BEFORE SUNRISE as Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy as YOUNG ACTORS integrate with their characters towards what would be an ongoing role over decades with transformation of the characters and both the Actors themselves as they too are transformed by the passage of time.

It's a really casual and adorable romance trilogy, that even a 'bloke' like myself could enjoy and be fascinated with.
The European cities and sites are great.