ScoMo Blocks Commie Dan's China Deal

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Black Orchid

ScoMo Blocks Commie Dan's China Deal

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:05 am

Scott Morrison will rip up China’s Belt Road deal with Victoria as he unveils new powers to block secret deals between foreign powers.

Scott Morrison will unveil new powers to block secret deals between foreign powers including China with state governments and universities amid rising concern over espionage.

Just hours after one of China’s top diplomats insisted secretive deals with academics in Australia’s universities were simply designed to “spread sunshine”, the Prime Minister will argue urgent reforms are required.

The new test will ask whether or not the proposed arrangements adversely affect Australia’s foreign relations and whether it is inconsistent with Australian foreign policy.

If the arrangement fails the test the foreign minister will have powers to stop the state entity from negotiating, entering, remaining in or giving effect to any new arrangements.

“Australia’s foreign policies and relationships must always be set to serve Australia’s interests,” Mr Morrison said.

“One of the most important jobs of the Federal Government is to protect and promote Australia’s national interest.”

The reforms also follow concerns over Victoria’s Belt and Road initiative to build infrastructure in the state.

The Federal Government will also have powers to terminate private contracts and other agreements, as well as infrastructure construction contact that comes about as a result of the Victorian Belt and Road initiative program.

Within six months of the introduction of the new laws, states and territories, local councils and public universities will have to complete a stocktake, and notify the Commonwealth of their existing arrangements with foreign governments.
https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 7ae6a90a70

It's ludicrous that the federal government doesn't already have the power to shut down rogue premiers who threaten Australia's national security,

China can 'spread their sunshine' where the sun don't shine!

Redneck

Re: ScoMo Blocks Commie Dan's China Deal

Post by Redneck » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:10 am

Good move , I could never understand that.

Juliar

Post by Juliar » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:49 am

Wonder if ScoMo will block the Chinese bribing the Unions and the ALP ?

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:36 pm

Redneck wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:10 am
Good move , I could never understand that.
Wow.

A 'deal' with China will always be to their advantage.
They have caused damage to other countries in this scheme apparently.
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:04 am

Beijing and Canberra have been at loggerheads after Australia led global calls for an inquiry into the origins of Covid-19.

Soon afterwards, China slapped an 80 per cent tariff on Australian barley, suspended beef imports and told students and tourists not to travel Down Under in an apparent attempt to damage the Australian economy.

On Tuesday Treasurer Josh Frydenberg blocked a $600million bid by Chinese company Mengniu Dairy to buy Aussie drinks company Lion, citing national security concerns.

On Wednesday Wang Xining, deputy head of mission at the Chinese embassy in Canberra, said Chinese people felt deeply betrayed by Mr Morrison's call for independent scientists to enter China and investigate coronavirus.

'All of a sudden, there was this shocking proposal from Australia, supposed to be a good friend of China,' he said.

'It is approximately identical to Julius Caesar on his final day when he saw Brutus approaching him and said et tu, Brute?'

Minister Wang admitted the virus was 'first identified' in China but said 'we should leave the work to scientists' to find out where patient zero came from.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... China.html

Image to China.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:09 am

The federal government claims the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation, the Australian Signals Directorate and the Office of National Intelligence director made many offers to the Andrews government in the past month.

The briefings are believed to have been on the threat assessment on China, espionage and foreign interference as well as cyber threats.

Mr Andrews had been offered briefings multiple times about the issue since July, reports said, but claims he was unaware there had been concerns until recently.

The Victorian premier stood by the controversial deal during his coronavirus press conference on Thursday and insists the deal is about boosting jobs and investment.

Speaking about Mr Morrison's comments, the premier quipped: 'If the prime minister has time to be doing those things, that's fine for him.

'I don't - I am exclusively focused on fighting this virus and then making sure we have the strongest economy that we can possibly have on the other side of this.'
Pppfffttt
A proposed new law announced on Wednesday could see the deal scrapped.

The coalition is pursuing legislation to review and scrap state, territory, local council and public university deals with other nations.

It would also allow the foreign minister to nip major agreements in the bud after states and territories notify an intention to negotiate with another country.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton described the Belt and Road Initiative as 'a propaganda initiative from China' that could lead to an 'enormous amount of foreign interference'.

He said: 'Victoria needs to explain why it is the only state in the country that has entered into this agreement.'

Federal Liberal MP Andrew Hastie told Daily Mail Australia that Mr Andrews had 'gone off the reservation by conducting his own foreign policy with China'.

I'd rather see the word WILL be scrapped instead of could but I'm pretty sure ScoMo will get this through. First the NT and now VIC selling out to China.

I can't believe there has never been legislation to prevent this and protect our national interests to begin with and what's the point in even having security agencies if individual Premiers can choose just to ignore them?

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:25 am

Black Orchid wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:09 am
The federal government claims the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation, the Australian Signals Directorate and the Office of National Intelligence director made many offers to the Andrews government in the past month.

The briefings are believed to have been on the threat assessment on China, espionage and foreign interference as well as cyber threats.

Mr Andrews had been offered briefings multiple times about the issue since July, reports said, but claims he was unaware there had been concerns until recently.

The Victorian premier stood by the controversial deal during his coronavirus press conference on Thursday and insists the deal is about boosting jobs and investment.

Speaking about Mr Morrison's comments, the premier quipped: 'If the prime minister has time to be doing those things, that's fine for him.

'I don't - I am exclusively focused on fighting this virus and then making sure we have the strongest economy that we can possibly have on the other side of this.'
Pppfffttt
A proposed new law announced on Wednesday could see the deal scrapped.

The coalition is pursuing legislation to review and scrap state, territory, local council and public university deals with other nations.

It would also allow the foreign minister to nip major agreements in the bud after states and territories notify an intention to negotiate with another country.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton described the Belt and Road Initiative as 'a propaganda initiative from China' that could lead to an 'enormous amount of foreign interference'.

He said: 'Victoria needs to explain why it is the only state in the country that has entered into this agreement.'

Federal Liberal MP Andrew Hastie told Daily Mail Australia that Mr Andrews had 'gone off the reservation by conducting his own foreign policy with China'.

I'd rather see the word WILL be scrapped instead of could but I'm pretty sure ScoMo will get this through. First the NT and now VIC selling out to China.

I can't believe there has never been legislation to prevent this and to protect our national interests to begin with and what's the point in even having security agencies if individual Premiers can choose just to ignore them?
Totally agree, I was also thinking about that Darwin port lease, it should never have been allowed.

cods

Post by cods » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:37 am

do you think Dan received an "Aldi bag" to sign that deal???????..

its almost as if he is working against Australia....

how much do we know about this guy???....

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:58 am

................. The briefings are believed to have been on the threat assessment on China, espionage and foreign interference as well as cyber threats.

Mr Andrews had been offered briefings multiple times about the issue since July, reports said, but claims he was unaware there had been concerns until recently. ...............
Either A/ Mr Andrews is lying and should be facing criminal charges.

B/ Mr Andrews WAS unaware there were concerns about China and should be immediately jailed.
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:01 am

I'll take ... A.

He must be in 7th heaven thinking he can use the CV debacle to duck and weave about this. Won't work Dan!