Science Updates

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Rorschach

Re: Science Updates

Post by Rorschach » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:45 pm

DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:12 am

DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:11 pm

Yes, the Matrix made some interesting points.

When I taste something that tastes like chicken but isn't, I think of the matrix.

Reality is only our perception.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:33 am

Go China Go!

China deploys 'highly efficient' rover onto Moon's surface

Experts say China's ability to soft-land a spacecraft on the Moon represents a major step forwards for a country that appears determined to push deeper and deeper into space

"Within a decade or two I think we can anticipate that there will be humans permanently based on the moon," added Prof. Pounds, one of the UK's leading space experts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... rface.html
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:49 am

Well they gotta send them billions somewhere.

Chard

Post by Chard » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:12 am

Super Nova wrote:
Yes, the Matrix made some interesting points.

When I taste something that tastes like chicken but isn't, I think of the matrix.

Reality is only our perception.
What the fuck are you talking about, SN? If you'd read the article you'd know that it has to do with string theory and with an experimental confirmation that Hawking was wrong and Black Holes do not destroy information. Nothing about the Matrix or stupid shit, just high end theoretical physics dealing with concepts so obscure it'd probably be better for everyone if NewsAU would stop trying to dumb it down enough for laymen to understand, because every time they do they end up misinforming their readers.
Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy the FEAR to attack. - Dr. Strangelove

Chard

Post by Chard » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:31 pm

Ok, expanding on the above post a wee bit. Bear with me, this will take a bit...

Alrighty, most of us are at least passingly familiar of what a black hole is. Basically they're the remnant of a collapsed stars that were sufficiently massive that the local force of gravity has crushed everything into a singularity that light can't even escape. Turns out a lot of what physics and astronomy is finding out about actual blackhole behavior in the universe matches up with the predictions of Dr. Stephen Hawking. Dr. Hawking's predictions on concerning black holes, the relationship of time and space, and a the relationship between newtoian, realitistic, and quantum physics have been right the man's entire career.

All except one.

Back in the 1970s, Dr. Hawking and Physicist Jacob Bekenstein put forth a claim that threatened to rock on of the very foundations of physics. Applying what they knew of general reactivity and quantum field theory they noticed that theoretical effects and observable effects didn't match. More specifically, Hawking put forth that when black holes evaporate, the resulting hawking radiation is new information, breaking conservation of information. That was a bit of stunner to the world of physics and mathematics, and it took almost thirty years before Dr. Leonard Susskind finally proved Hawking wrong with a precise sting-theory interpretation of the holographic principle. Dr. Hawkings conceded the claim in 2004.

What the article is about is that experimental simulations have backed Susskind's conclusions.
Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy the FEAR to attack. - Dr. Strangelove

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:03 am

Chard wrote: What the fuck are you talking about, SN? If you'd read the article you'd know that it has to do with string theory and with an experimental confirmation that Hawking was wrong and Black Holes do not destroy information. Nothing about the Matrix or stupid shit, just high end theoretical physics dealing with concepts so obscure it'd probably be better for everyone if NewsAU would stop trying to dumb it down enough for laymen to understand, because every time they do they end up misinforming their readers.
Chard,

WTF is your problem. I don't have to fucking serious in every response.

If you understand the real details of string theory... I mean understand.... then you are a better man than me. I get the principles but not the fine detail. The maths are beyond me.

Now back to your point. I was referring to the association made in the article to the matrix... see this big photo of Neo and was having a little fun with that association.

I read a lot of science and I do not mind if they try and explain complexity in a form I can understand. If your brain is the size of the planet and not just a quick google search I would be impressed.

I too can spend 10 minutes reading an article... quick google then post a para or 2 sounding like I know what I am talking about.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:28 am

Don't worry SN, simple Australian politics is beyond tard...
he just talks the talk :rofl :rofl :rofl

Chard

Post by Chard » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Super Nova wrote:Chard,

WTF is your problem. I don't have to fucking serious in every response.
I hate inaccuracy.

Super Nova wrote:If you understand the real details of string theory... I mean understand.... then you are a better man than me. I get the principles but not the fine detail. The maths are beyond me.
I understand enough about string theory to let theoretical physicists deal with it. It 's an incredibly non-intuitive concept, yet more fascinating to watch than a monkey trying to fuck a football. If you'd like, PM me and I'll hook you up with a metric fuckton of physics documentaries.

Super Nova wrote:Now back to your point. I was referring to the association made in the article to the matrix... see this big photo of Neo and was having a little fun with that association.
That's just the thing. Remember what I said about major news outlets needing to stop trying to dumb down science for laymen? That Matrix reference in the article was made by some low pay staff writer who was cribbing from an article in Nature and got the exact wrong conclusion. That sort of shit annoys me to no end.

Super Nova wrote:I read a lot of science and I do not mind if they try and explain complexity in a form I can understand. If your brain is the size of the planet and not just a quick google search I would be impressed.
You read a lot of science, yet you didn't understand the subject any better than the dumbfuck staff writer that penned that terrible sensationalist article.

Super Nova wrote: I too can spend 10 minutes reading an article... quick google then post a para or 2 sounding like I know what I am talking about.
U mad, bro?