Science Updates

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
AiA in Atlanta

Re: Science Updates

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:48 am

Just in our galaxy alone. Imagine the possibilities.
Astronomers announced this week that there could be some 11 billion possibly habitable, Earth-sized planets in our galaxy, according to calculations based on data from the now hobbled Kepler spacecraft.

Chard

Post by Chard » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:46 am

AiA in Atlanta wrote:Just in our galaxy alone. Imagine the possibilities.
Astronomers announced this week that there could be some 11 billion possibly habitable, Earth-sized planets in our galaxy, according to calculations based on data from the now hobbled Kepler spacecraft.
Finding extra-solar planets is piss easy, and given that there's around 200 billion stars in our galaxy it's a statistical certainy that there's a shitload of earth-like planets out there. The hard part is getting to those planets. Considering we still haven't managed to got to any planets in our own solar system I wouldn't hold my breath on us visiting other planetary system in the foreseeable future.
Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy the FEAR to attack. - Dr. Strangelove

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:01 am

Chard wrote: I wouldn't hold my breath on us visiting other planetary system in the foreseeable future.

I'm not. And I am sure that each of those planets has there very own Jesus.

boxy

Post by boxy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Careful what you wish for. Nature is red of tooth and claw... but at least we're evolved to deal with the dangers posed by other species on this planet. We probably shouldn't be in any hurry to meet any strange new "people", without knowing anything about them.

And if they knew of our history, they'd be smart to avoid us as well, unless they totally outclassed us, technologically.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:34 pm

* There is N*O*T*H*I*N*G* out there!

* SciFi writers made it all up. ;)

* There is no "intelligent" life on Mars or any other planet.

* God did not create the World.

* You won't go to heaven when you die.

* homosexuality is choice.

etcetera ........... :f

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Neferti~ wrote:* There is N*O*T*H*I*N*G* out there!
I think there is life out there. I think there is a big place and the probability is that we will never discover them and certainly will never visit them unless our understanding of time and space travel is incorrect.
Neferti~ wrote:* SciFi writers made it all up. ;)
SciFi is creative and what is SciFi today can be tomorrows reality. Our imagination is something that makes us unique.
Neferti~ wrote:* There is no "intelligent" life on Mars or any other planet.
In this solar system I agree. One could question if there is any here on Earth as well.
Neferti~ wrote:* God did not create the World.
No but as everyone knows she created the universe and therefore set in motion the creation of the Earth. (tic) :pope
Neferti~ wrote:* You won't go to heaven when you die.
Well, I certainly will not. It sound boring anyway. I may convert to Islam. Their Heaven with the promise of all those virgins sounds attractive.

if we can have an afterlife, what about dogs. Do they have a soul too and can go to doggy heaven.

It is a sad reality that we are just animals and when we die.... that's it.

So procreate to allow your genes to have a chance to be eternal.
Neferti~ wrote:* homosexuality is choice.
I used to think that however for many I don't believe that anymore.
Neferti~ wrote:etcetera ........... :f
Now I agree with that.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:58 am

'Godzilla' platypus discovered in Australia

A tooth found in northern Australia leads to the discovery of a "platypus Godzilla" that roamed the continent between five and 15 million years ago

Scientists have discovered the fossil of a giant “platypus Godzilla” with powerful teeth which roamed the rivers of northern Australia between 5 and 15 million years ago.

The duck-billed creature was identified by a tooth found in an area of the state of Queensland that is one of the world’s richest fossil deposits. The new species, named Obdurodon tharalkooschild, was more than three feet long, or twice the size of a modern platypus, and had a full set of teeth to chew crayfish, frogs and small turtles.

Scientists believe the creature was not an immediate ancestor of the existing platypus - a nocturnal animal which lives in waterside burrows across eastern Australia and lacks any teeth as an adult. Instead it was a close relative.

"lt pretty well blew our minds," Professor Mike Archer, from the University of New South Wales, told ABC News.

"It looks like a modern platypus on steroids - we'll have to call it platypus Godzilla. It definitely had good teeth and was a very robust animal with a big brutish-looking snout,"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ralia.html
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:47 am

There are several theories about the extinction of prehistoric large mammals but my favorite is that humans simply killed them all off.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:21 am

AiA in Atlanta wrote:There are several theories about the extinction of prehistoric large mammals but my favorite is that humans simply killed them all off.
Humans have only been in Australia for 20k years so after their time for the mega killer platypus.

mantra

Post by mantra » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:52 am

Humans inhabited Australia at least 50,000 years ago.

How can scientists determine that the tooth is that old? The giant platypus may not have become extinct - just modified itself to the environment over millions of years. As the climate has changed - perhaps the teeth became unnecessary due to a change in diet which was needed for survival.