At the Movies...

Discuss Movies, TV, Music and general entertainment here
AiA in Atlanta

Re: At the Movies...

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:28 am

Enjoyed World War Z last weekend. Still, in the zombie genre, 28 Days Later is my favorite.

IQS.RLOW

Post by IQS.RLOW » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:31 am

Still not a big fan of fast moving zombies.
George A Romero still kicks ass

Sean of the dead is the best amalgamation of comedy/zombie
Quote by Aussie: I was a long term dead beat, wife abusing, drunk, black Muslim, on the dole for decades prison escapee having been convicted of paedophilia

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:06 pm

Saw The Lone Ranger yesterday. It wasn't wonderful but it was amusing and entertaining. Some things were left a bit up in the air which irritates me but I always love Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer certainly held his own. 7/10.

I don't like zombie movies much and wouldn't bother going to see one but I like the series The Walking Dead. Go figure.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:19 pm

Black Orchid wrote: I don't like zombie movies much and wouldn't bother going to see one but I like the series The Walking Dead. Go figure.
That series is filmed near where I live. That town where the Governor is/was holed up is an actual little town named Senoia. The first year of the series was filmed in Atlanta.

IQS.RLOW

Post by IQS.RLOW » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:30 am

Looking forward to the Conjuring

My 10 year old is following in his dads footsteps and is hanging out to watch some horror, constantly asking when will he be able to watch Freddy Kruiger, Halloween or Chucky. I told him those were crap and sat him down to watch Ringu so he can have some culture as well as scares.
Quote by Aussie: I was a long term dead beat, wife abusing, drunk, black Muslim, on the dole for decades prison escapee having been convicted of paedophilia

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:09 am

Not an easy thing to find a really good horror movie. Director Guillermo del Toro's films are usually a good bet.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:58 pm

AiA in Atlanta wrote:
Black Orchid wrote: I don't like zombie movies much and wouldn't bother going to see one but I like the series The Walking Dead. Go figure.
That series is filmed near where I live. That town where the Governor is/was holed up is an actual little town named Senoia. The first year of the series was filmed in Atlanta.
I wondered whether that was a real town or a set. It seems to just stop dead instead of petering out into the burbs.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:46 am

Yes, that is an actual town. Quite charming actually. But the Walking Dead only shows the downtown area and not the few residential streets that surround it. The town is pretty much in the country side.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:43 am

The Wolverine.

The Wolverine is an enjoyable romp on many levels, but at times defies logic and nature in ways not even fans of the mutant universe will find acceptable. There are several large plot holes and annoying intrusions. But I will come to them later.

The story opens with with Logan (Jackman) trapped inside a Japanese POW camp. The camp is in Nagasaki and there’s a plane with a big bomb flying overhead. As the blast-wave spreads, Logan manages to save the life one of his captor's… Yashida. In doing so, he sets in motion a chain of events that will see the pair reunited decades later. Now an elderly billionaire obsessed with his legacy, Yashida summons Logan to his deathbed in Tokyo. He craves Logan's healing powers whilst promising in return the one thing Logan can never have… death.

I suppose I should be upfront and say I was disappointed in “The Wolverine.” Maybe in a couple of years I’ll appreciate it more, like I now do the first Wolverine origins movie.

As much as the “Xmen Origins:Wolverine” movie copped a lot of flak, “The Wolverine” isn’t that much better, if at all. Sure it has its moments, but… once again major liberties have been taken with the source material, and the character differentiation is poorly serviced here, unlike the characters in the Xmen series of movies. Here there are many characters with his/her own agenda, but none of them are properly fleshed out in this story.

Hugh Jackman is still, The Wolverine. He owns the character, but the rest of the cast except for perhaps Rila Fukushima’s Yukio, are mere shadows, that leave much to be desired. The inclusion of Jean Grey, is problematic and unnecessary. In fact I found it grating and out of character. Fans will try to embrace this movie and be grateful for another outing with their favourite mutant. But it is hardly the definitive Wolverine movie they were promised and have all been waiting for.

I also want to address some things that I feel have hampered both the Wolverine movies… special effects. Not that I want to do without them, quite the opposite, and how could you. But I don’t want to see anymore that just are a waste of money that do not enhance or further the plot. Best the money be spent well. Better writers perhaps? As for the 3D… someday Hollywood will wake up to the fact that it is unnecessary and not a goer.

The Wolverine if I had to rate it, I’d give it 6.5 out of 10
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:20 pm

DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD