Self-healing planes and the future of flight

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:55 pm

I like this attribute of the future planes. We will become the Borg.

The survivor

Finally, one of the most incredible concepts developed by the boffins is the healing capacity of future aircraft. The technology behind it involves an aircraft constructed in a way that sees lightweight adhesive fluid poured inside a pattern of carbon nanotubes. The liquid can then be released whenever any damage is sustained, even during a flight, and can set to make the aircraft as good as new again.

This would make any kind of aircraft virtually indestructible and make it able to reach deep into enemy areas in order to carry out surveillance, carry out a military strike or, perhaps, pick up injured or stranded personnel.
Article for more innovation planned. http://t.innovation.uk.msn.com/tomorrow ... -of-flight
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Neferti

Re: Self-healing planes and the future of flight

Post by Neferti » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:10 pm

Super Nova wrote:I like this attribute of the future planes. We will become the Borg.

The survivor

Finally, one of the most incredible concepts developed by the boffins is the healing capacity of future aircraft. The technology behind it involves an aircraft constructed in a way that sees lightweight adhesive fluid poured inside a pattern of carbon nanotubes. The liquid can then be released whenever any damage is sustained, even during a flight, and can set to make the aircraft as good as new again.

This would make any kind of aircraft virtually indestructible and make it able to reach deep into enemy areas in order to carry out surveillance, carry out a military strike or, perhaps, pick up injured or stranded personnel.
Article for more innovation planned. http://t.innovation.uk.msn.com/tomorrow ... -of-flight
Futuristic crap. :tease

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:24 pm

Neferti~ wrote: Futuristic crap. :tease
Why do you say that.

It will be a reality. Self healing structures is a great innovation. Add a self aware computer brain... and we have a pretty good machine to help us.

Add an ability to self replicate... we have designed a new life form.

Futuristic---- yes
Crap ----- No

I remember my mother saying the Dick Tracey video watch was futuristic crap.... look what we have now.

She could not image how a cathode ray tube TV and two ways images and voice transitions built into such a small device would ever be possible.

Futuristic Fantasy

Fantasy Arrives
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:45 pm

I was teasing you. Didn't you note the emoticon? :tease

My ex was so into sci fi that it drove me nuts. I don't need to be reminded of him. :mad

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:49 pm

Neferti~ wrote:I was teasing you. Didn't you note the emoticon? :tease

My ex was so into sci fi that it drove me nuts. I don't need to be reminded of him. :mad
Oh I missed it.

I will try not to remind you of him.

:rofl

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Not only did he know all about sci fi (claimed he began reading sci fi at age 8) he was an absolute smart arse, know-it-all. I remember at a party and one of the ladies came up to me and asked whether he was a Doctor (of medicine). They had had a long discussion and she thought he was. :roll: He had an Engineering Degree but had a photographic memory so anything he read he could spout like he was an expert. Genius level IQ. Used to drive me nuts and my IQ is above average. :zzzz

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:06 pm

my IQ is above average.
How do you know?

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:09 pm

Aussie wrote:
my IQ is above average.
How do you know?
Nef probably had an IQ test. Like most Australians do. School do them as well.

Remember 50% of the people are below average and 50% are above.

Did you ever get yours tested aussie?

What was your score?

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:11 pm

Neferti~ wrote:Not only did he know all about sci fi (claimed he began reading sci fi at age 8) he was an absolute smart arse, know-it-all. I remember at a party and one of the ladies came up to me and asked whether he was a Doctor (of medicine). They had had a long discussion and she thought he was. :roll: He had an Engineering Degree but had a photographic memory so anything he read he could spout like he was an expert. Genius level IQ. Used to drive me nuts and my IQ is above average. :zzzz
Shit.

I started reading SciFi in comics at 8 or so.

I don't have a photographic memory. I don't know what I read or said yesterday.

So I guess I cannot remind you of him unless I use google to pretend..... :rofl

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:25 pm

Super Nova wrote:
Aussie wrote:
my IQ is above average.
How do you know?
Nef probably had an IQ test. Like most Australians do. School do them as well.

Remember 50% of the people are below average and 50% are above.

Did you ever get yours tested aussie?

What was your score?
Aussie's IQ would be about 100. :rofl Yes, I had a proper IQ test many years ago. It was a sit down, answer questions on paper with a timer going, so you were under pressure to answer all the questions in a set time. I scored 135. It was NOT one of those things on the Net. I did one of those and scored 155. :mrgreen: I am in the gifted category. :thumb My ex was 160.

Here:
Genius 144 0.13%
Gifted 130-144 2.14%
Above average 115-129 13.59%
Higher average 100-114 34.13%
Lower average 85-99 34.13%
Below average 70-84 13.59%
Borderline low 55-69 2.14%
Low <55 0.13%