RIP Watch

Discuss any News, Current Events, Crimes
Forum rules
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Random guest posting.
Redneck

Re: RIP Watch

Post by Redneck » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Performer Rory O’Donoghue, best known for the iconic 70s comedy The Aunty Jack Show, has died, aged 68.

He died in hospital on December 13, daughter Jessica revealed on Facebook.

“Many of you knew Rory as an incredible musician, a great athlete and a wonderful teacher. To us he was the most amazing and precious Dad, Grandpa, partner, son, brother, uncle and friend. We are devastated and will miss him deeply.”

O’Donoghue rose to fame on ABC’s The Aunty Jack Show as Thin Arthur alongside Grahame Bond and Garry McDonald as Kid Eager, under director Maurice Murphy. Bond and O’Donoghue met at Sydney University, performing in revues after O’Donoghue played The Artful Dodger in a Sydney production of the musical Oliver!

Aunty Jack was created as an ABC Radio children’s radio series, to replace the long-running The Argonauts Club, partly inspired by Bond’s overbearing Uncle Jack, his grandfather Ben Doyle and Dot Strong the ABC’s last official tea lady. The cross-dressing, moustachioed, trucker and pantomime dame made her unmistakeable debut in Aunty Jack’s Travelling Show, an episode of The Comedy Game, broadcast in late 1971. It was enough to win a stand-alone series with Bond threatening to “rip yer bloody arms off” and O’Donoghue singing the theme song.

O’Donoghue continued performing after Aunty Jack, releasing albums, performing in stage musicals including Jesus Christ Superstar and Forbidden Planet and writing ad jingles. He played the guitar solo on Kevin Johnson’s biggest hit Rock and Roll I Gave You the Best Years of My Life and won an Australian Film Institute award in 1981 for best movie score for Fatty Finn.

He once did a version of ‘Stairway To Heaven’ for Andrew Denton’s The Money or the Gun.

Only two weeks ago O’Donoghue joined Grahame Bond for his book launch in Sydney, with Doug Mulray, writer Geoffrey Atherden and director Maurice Murphy.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:53 am

The Vicar of Dibley, Notting Hill star Emma Chambers dead at 53

DAWN French has paid tribute to her “loving friend” and co-star Emma Chambers, who has died aged 53, of natural causes.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/ce ... 7c46c0be6c

cods

Post by cods » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:18 am

I am so sad to read that.. such a lovely soul..

RIP Emma... you made so many laugh!

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Apparently she died of 'natural causes'. How can you die of natural causes at 53 nowadays?

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:39 pm

Black Orchid wrote:Apparently she died of 'natural causes'. How can you die of natural causes at 53 nowadays?
I wondered about that, thought may be a heart attack, so Googled:
A death by natural causes, as recorded by coroners and on death certificates and associated documents, is one that is primarily attributed to an illness or an internal malfunction of the body not directly caused by external forces. Contrary to the statement before, everything is natural at some point. For example, a person dying from complications from influenza (an infection) or a heart attack (an internal body malfunction) or sudden heart failure would be listed as having died from natural causes.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:17 pm

I know heart attacks, strokes etc are 'natural' but usually they say. I find it odd that they have said nothing other than 'natural causes' especially at such a young age.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:08 pm

Black Orchid wrote:I know heart attacks, strokes etc are 'natural' but usually they say. I find it odd that they have said nothing other than 'natural causes' especially at such a young age.
I thought that too but apparently she died on Wednesday 21st and there was most likely a postmortem and "natural causes" could be what is listed on the Death Certificate. Her husband probably didn't want to elaborate. However, 53 is rather young, probably a heart failure or similar and very sudden, I presume.

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:06 am

Steve Folkes  Dead --Far too young to go....very sad day for Rugby League

Rugby league great Steve Folkes dead at 59
AAP / 3:09pm AEDT

Canterbury rugby league legend and premiership-winning NRL coach Steve Folkes has died aged 59, reportedly from a heart attack.

Bulldogs champion Steve Folkes found dead

Folkes, who also played in four Canterbury premiership-winning sides during the 1980s, coached the Bulldogs between 1998 and 2008 and took them to their last title in 2004.

"Steve played such a major part in the history of the Bulldogs, both as a player and coach, and was without doubt one of the giants of the club," chief executive Andrew Hill said.

As a player, Folkes was regarded as a hard-training back-rower who appeared in six grand finals for the Bulldogs, including their 1980, 1984, 1985 and 1988 successes.

Folkes won Dally M coach of the year in 2004. Pic: Getty

He regularly topped the tackle count in his playing days and was part of coach Ted Glossop's 1980 'Entertainers' side that brought the club their first Premiership in 38 years.

He was also an integral part of Warren Ryan's 'Dogs of War' from 1984 to 1987.

He also played five Tests for Australia and nine State of Origins for NSW between 1986 and 1988 to go with his 245 games for the Bulldogs.

Folkes celebrates the 2004 premiership with fans. Pic: Getty

He moved into Canterbury's coaching ranks, taking the side to the 1998 NRL grand final in his first season in charge before claiming the title six years later.

During his 11 seasons at the helm he coached players like Johnathan Thurston, Steve Price, Hazem El Masri, Andrew Ryan and Sonny Bill Williams.

He also formed part of one of the Bulldogs' most famous families, marrying the late daughter of Peter 'Bullfrog' Moore, Karen.

Most recently, he coached the Australian women's side between 2014 and 2016, and was set to coach the Moss Vale Dragons in Group Six country rugby league this year.

"Steve symbolised everything that the Bulldogs stand for and was respected throughout the game for his toughness and determination," Hill said.

"He never took a backward step and was loved by the fans for his courage and commitment to the club.

"His legacy as a Bulldog and what he did for the club will never be forgotten and our hearts go out to his family and friends at this difficult time."

Tributes immediately poured onto social media as the devastating news spread, with ex-Bulldogs players Willie Mason and Reni Maitua leading the charge.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:47 pm

Jeff St John aged 71.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:02 pm

David Ogden Stiers (Charles Winchester from MASH) died, age 75, recently.