Day/Night Owls Chit Chat

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
BigP

Re: Day/Night Owls Chit Chat

Post by BigP » Sun May 17, 2020 6:55 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:22 pm
P I was reading yesterday that a lot of wealthy Americans and Europeans fled to New Zealand before the total flight lockdowns. They spent millions of dollars on lavish underground bunkers there.

They are apparently being built quickly so that neighbours have no clue about them lol.

Maybe you could toss one in and sell it for millions?
Id put my money on them buying into all the isolated exclusive lodges that proliferate NZ,

BigP

Post by BigP » Sun May 17, 2020 7:13 pm

I am on a major high at the moment, no drugs could get me to this level, My dick head neighbor decided to have a one man party, I wandered down the drive and told him to shut the fuck up, And he not only ignored me he turned his music up lol

So I left it for a half hour and called noise control, after a little back and forth with them they sent out some one to have a listen , and assured me their man would come and see me,, around the time i expected them to arrive I crept up the drive in the dark so the dipshit wouldn't see me, Music loud until noise control turned up .right between his music selection , I was pissed off, but the noise control officer saw me in the drive and stopped for a chat as he was having a quiet night, and im a little chatty, He told me the dick head told him it was his tenants making the noise and he would have a chat to them, I pointed out he didn't have any tenants , we chatted to around 10 minutes then lo and behold the music started up gain . I couldn't have planned it that way , half way down the drive I heard him yell"TURN THAT MUSIC OFF"

Who said there isnt a God lol

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun May 17, 2020 7:37 pm

:rofl

Maybe you need one of those underground bunkers for safety or, better still, a suit of armour for potential protection lol.

Texan

Post by Texan » Sun May 17, 2020 11:14 pm

I've always wanted an underground bunker. They are great for tornadoes or SHTF. Hidden rooms are cool too.

BigP

Post by BigP » Mon May 18, 2020 12:33 pm

Texan wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:14 pm
I've always wanted an underground bunker. They are great for tornadoes or SHTF. Hidden rooms are cool too.
Same here Tex, I have often thought about lining out a 20 foot shipping container and burying it on the property

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Mon May 18, 2020 1:36 pm

Texan wrote:
Gee you blokes seem to get a lot of Tornadoes/hurricanes over there !!

We get the odd cyclone but dont often cause much damage as they often end if in sparcely inhabitated areas.

What is the difference between a hurricane and a cyclone btw, does anyone know?

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Mon May 18, 2020 1:54 pm

Redneck wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:36 pm
Texan wrote:

We get the odd cyclone but dont often cause much damage as they often end if in sparcely inhabitated areas.

My Japanese friend calls them Typhoons. The only difference is where they occur. :mrgreen:
The only difference between a hurricane, a cyclone, and a typhoon is the location where the storm occurs. ... In the Atlantic and Northeast Pacific, the term “hurricane” is used. The same type of disturbance in the Northwest Pacific is called a “typhoon” and “cyclones” occur in the South Pacific and Indian Ocean.

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Mon May 18, 2020 1:57 pm

Neferti~ wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:54 pm
Redneck wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:36 pm
Texan wrote:

My Japanese friend calls them Typhoons. The only difference is where they occur. :mrgreen:
The only difference between a hurricane, a cyclone, and a typhoon is the location where the storm occurs. ... In the Atlantic and Northeast Pacific, the term “hurricane” is used. The same type of disturbance in the Northwest Pacific is called a “typhoon” and “cyclones” occur in the South Pacific and Indian Ocean.
You clever little Vegemite! :bgrin (that will stuff Tex)

Texan

Post by Texan » Mon May 18, 2020 2:16 pm

BigP wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:33 pm
Texan wrote:
Same here Tex, I have often thought about lining out a 20 foot shipping container and burying it on the property
I'd like a 40 foot container. I want room for storage for food and emergency supplies. I'd keep some folding chairs and build a couple of beds that fold down out of the wall. No sense in being uncomfortable when there is a tornado. You might want to be there all night. Don't forget to concrete over the roof and install an air vent. Installing electricity would be nice. Charge batteries, weather radio, a fan, lighting. A single 15A circuit would do it or solar with a small inverter. They make light tubes with mirror like insides for piping daylight into homes. Free natural daylight.

If burying is too expensive, dig out the side of a slope and earth berm it on 3 sides. Back it in, seal it, fill in the gaps and concrete the roof to prevent water from settling and corroding your roof.

Yep. I live in the Southern part of Tornado Alley. My dad has been in 2 tornadoes. One hit his neighborhood near Dallas Love Field in 1957 and another hit our house in Mesquite TX in 1984. Dad saw it from the patio door and dove behind a couch before it hit. That tornado started at my next door neighbor's house and began ripping roofs off. One house was demolished and rebuilt. We only got debris thrown through our roof. My dad's construction business was going slow and between projects at the time, so he put his men to work repairing houses on our street until the next project became available. Our soil is too unstable to make basements affordable, so many install small underground bunkers. Usually they are only large enough for a family to get in and huddle for a couple of hours with no amenities. I'd like to sit around a table and play cards or dominoes.

BigP

Post by BigP » Mon May 18, 2020 3:12 pm

Those twisters are scary fucken things,,

We dont tend to get much dangerous weather in NZ, The odd roof off a few trees down and plenty of flooding,,