Architecture Thread

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Texan

Re: Architecture Thread

Post by Texan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:17 pm

FLEKTARN wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:47 pm
Texan wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:44 am
I like concrete dome homes. They are fire, earthquake, and tornado resistant. They can be covered with all kinds of materials and even buried underground.

This home is partially buried and coated with stones. I think it is 5 domes interconnected. It's not far from my house.

They can be redneck nightmares in the wrong hands, but I like their potential.
How do domes perform compared to normal brick houses in earthquakes 6+ richters?
They hold up very well. The outer layer of the dome is polyurethane and this limits thermal cycling. The curved shape is very solid and the concrete is reinforced with rebar.

FLEKTARN

Post by FLEKTARN » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:33 am

Texan wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:17 pm
FLEKTARN wrote:
Texan wrote:
I like concrete dome homes. They are fire, earthquake, and tornado resistant. They can be covered with all kinds of materials and even buried underground.

This home is partially buried and coated with stones. I think it is 5 domes interconnected. It's not far from my house.

How do domes perform compared to normal brick houses in earthquakes 6+ richters?
They hold up very well. The outer layer of the dome is polyurethane and this limits thermal cycling. The curved shape is very solid and the concrete is reinforced with rebar.
Curved shape...stronger...makes sense. That's why aeroplane windows are CURVED. Still, polyurethane? Isn't that like...plastic, polymer? Wouldn't that melt, stink or crack in hot weather?
The one that says the least can often have a very different perspective and hold the answer. The least qualified person may hold the most wisdom. When you don’t have knowledge or experience blocking your perspective, you can see problems and solutions.

Texan

Post by Texan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:56 am

FLEKTARN wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:33 am
Texan wrote:
FLEKTARN wrote:
Texan wrote:

Curved shape...stronger...makes sense. That's why aeroplane windows are CURVED. Still, polyurethane? Isn't that like...plastic, polymer? Wouldn't that melt, stink or crack in hot weather?
Polyurethane is what they use to make skateboard wheels. You have to keep it coated because it’s not UV resistant, but it can take a lot of abuse.

Their headquarters is in Italy, TX. I’ll drive by it in about an hour. I think they are beautiful, but don’t look right on a small lot. Their headquarters looks like a hippy commune. They have dozens of domes and they test eac one with a different coating to make improvements. I toured the owners home. He has 2 domes with a total of 2700 square feet. He has a 1 ton AC unit for each dome and it’s more than enough for Texas weather. My house is only 2000 square feet and I have a 4 ton system.

Italy High School built a dome gymnasium for basketball games and such. The city uses it as a public storm shelter for tornadoes. These domes have been directly hit by tornadoes and forest fires with almost no damage.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:15 am

An old wooden cabin/shack has my heart.

The older, more crooked, creaky, bare wood inside the better
Paint it outside, A/C, insulated, tin roof.

Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Texan

Post by Texan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:38 am

If I were single, I could go for a tiny house. At least a very small house.

I helped a bunch of friends from church erect one of these buildings. The owner is disabled and on a limited income. His teenage son completed construction under his instruction. He and his wife have been in the home for about 10 years. His son put himself through engineering school and got married 2 weeks ago. I would have made the home nicer, but considering his disability and income, he did an amazing job and his son learned a lot by building it. I helped wire the house, but his son did most of the work and only called me when he ran into problems. I like that kid and I take care of him as much as possible because he is a good influence on my sons.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283433129405

FLEKTARN

Post by FLEKTARN » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:22 pm

Texan wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:56 am
FLEKTARN wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:33 am
Texan wrote:
FLEKTARN wrote:
Texan wrote:

Polyurethane is what they use to make skateboard wheels. You have to keep it coated because it’s not UV resistant, but it can take a lot of abuse.

Their headquarters is in Italy, TX. I’ll drive by it in about an hour. I think they are beautiful, but don’t look right on a small lot. Their headquarters looks like a hippy commune. They have dozens of domes and they test eac one with a different coating to make improvements. I toured the owners home. He has 2 domes with a total of 2700 square feet. He has a 1 ton AC unit for each dome and it’s more than enough for Texas weather. My house is only 2000 square feet and I have a 4 ton system.

Italy High School built a dome gymnasium for basketball games and such. The city uses it as a public storm shelter for tornadoes. These domes have been directly hit by tornadoes and forest fires with almost no damage.
Against tornadoes wind will just glide off the top because it's round. I'm starting to consider this for a future project, like a lot the futuristic looks
The one that says the least can often have a very different perspective and hold the answer. The least qualified person may hold the most wisdom. When you don’t have knowledge or experience blocking your perspective, you can see problems and solutions.

FLEKTARN

Post by FLEKTARN » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Here's a dome company from Europe
https://www.biodomes.eu/

Saw their address, they're from Romania, but like in Northern Romania and super far away from me, I mean, it's not so far, it's near the Hungarian border but it's still huge luck they aren't from the Netherlands or whatever. They're 12 hours drive away from me, around 850 km

It's a different design than yours posted, it's mainly glass, but I dig it, and glass will let more light in, for ventilation too, it looks great. The only question is how am I gonna get a building permit when these can only be obtained here after you sign a contract with a local construction company and they do the project for you. Registering it as a temporary building is one way, but I have to have another main building (house), and having it illegally is out of the question because all it takes is one envious neighbour calling the Municipality.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:23 pm

Institute for Medical and Health Research building in South Australia.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:24 pm

City of Arts and Sciences in Valencia, Spain.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:24 pm

Hill of the Buddha in Sapporo Japan.jpg