What's for dinner?

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Jasin

Re: What's for dinner?

Post by Jasin » Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:04 pm

Mackerals are one of the healthiest fish to have. Just ask the Dolphins. I'm not a fan of Tuna. Reminds me of chicken white-meat. Dull and not really a top 10 healthiest fish contender. Sardines are also highly nutritious. I worked a Fish Processing Plant for a wee 6 months before it was bought over by a Melbournian Company. I would have to say that Garfish (Butterfly prepared) were one of my favourite tasting fish. Coral Prawns are the most delicious in their sweetness. I prefer Latchet/Gurnard over Flathead any day in regards to their fillets being similar as Flathead was almost double the price and more bland in taste. Very over-rated. Oil Fish is an exquisite buttery taste - but one must only have a small portion or its time on the toilet as it will clean your system out too much. :lol:

...but one can never beat the taste of good old Flipper the Dolphin. ;)

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:55 pm

i used to like Latchet but it's really hard to come by.

UnSubRocky

Post by UnSubRocky » Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:58 pm

Rump steak and vegetables. It is getting late to start dinner. But, I should be able to walk off the meal afterwards.

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:07 pm

Latchet/Gurnard is harder to come by because the demand isn't as big as Flathead.
While my short stint as a Fish Filleter - Flathead is only popular because of its history of being one of the most commonly caught by Recreational Fishing, along with Snapper along the NSW coastline. Ask any serious Chef and they'll tell you they will choose Latchet over Flathead (larger fillets, better colouring, better taste, cheaper) in regards to taste and quality, but 'commercially' Flathead is better in demand and $$ to make off customers.
It's a case like Betachord being better quality than VHS back in the day, but the VHS was better marketed.
I once saw a kg of Flathead sell for $72 while Latchet for just $42. I guess the ignorant pay the $72, while the less so easily pay less for the Latchet like a well kept secret.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:20 pm

I don't do bones so the tail of the flathead is the only good part imo and that's a waste.

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:44 pm

If filleted properly, your fillet shouldn't have any bones BO. You should get a fillet from near the head to tail from both sides - no bones.
Goatfish is nice and sweet but you can't really fillet out all the bones and they are small and tedious.

UnSubRocky

Post by UnSubRocky » Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:13 am

Delicious crumb chicken and vegetables with some gravy over top. Best meal I have had in a while.

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:03 pm

Loving those pre-cooked meat packages you just zap in the microwave for 8 minutes. Soft and yummy meat.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:32 pm

I like Peri-Peri chicken skewers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:15 pm

Love my eggsies. But having worked in the Poultry Industry (even as a Chick Sexer :P ) - I am so off eating Chicken. So bland and boring. Where I'm currrently staying, there are 6 chickens that roam the Park and I occassionally feed them left-overs (fat off meat). Not once do I consider knocking them on the head for dinner.

Duck and Pheasant taste a bit better.
Had Lyrebird once. Very nice.