At the Movies...

Discuss Movies, TV, Music and general entertainment here
Rorschach

Re: At the Movies...

Post by Rorschach » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:42 pm

Valerian and the City of 1000 Planets.

Special effects are great. The leads are Charismatic enough, but the script lets them down.

You can actually pick the movies Luc Beson has pinched stuff from. Lots of Star Wars stuff, a line from Daredevil, a cross between Jabba The Hut and Kingpin. The Shadow, Star Trek, etc, etc... and that's just the first 15 minutes. A very strange sub-plot where one lead keep proposing to the other, which doesn't work at all.

So all in all 5/10
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:19 pm

The Dark Tower.

The 2 leads are great, Idris (the Gunslinger)and especially McConaughey the man in Black) the bad guy.
I cant say how this rates compared to all the 8 books, but then I cant read Stephen King anyway, I find his writing interminably tedious.
Obviously a 90 minute film tends to make you think there are going to be sequels..
I thought this one was pretty good and sets up the opportunity for sequels well, by leaving you wanting more.
7/10

ps. And it bugged me for all the film, that I could not remember who the boy's mother was during the film. But the penny finally dropped. It was Katheryn Winnick (Lagertha) from the Vikings TV series.
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:27 pm

'Dunkirk' was good.

It was not really a 'war' movie.
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:43 pm

Rorschach wrote:The Dark Tower.

The 2 leads are great, Idris (the Gunslinger)and especially McConaughey the man in Black) the bad guy.
I cant say how this rates compared to all the 8 books, but then I cant read Stephen King anyway, I find his writing interminably tedious.
Obviously a 90 minute film tends to make you think there are going to be sequels..
I thought this one was pretty good and sets up the opportunity for sequels well, by leaving you wanting more.
7/10

ps. And it bugged me for all the film, that I could not remember who the boy's mother was during the film. But the penny finally dropped. It was Katheryn Winnick (Lagertha) from the Vikings TV series.
I read all the books and loved them. The movie doesn't do the books credit. Very disappointed however it was nice to see the books come to life. I think they should have made this an extended series on Netflix.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Rorschach wrote:Valerian and the City of 1000 Planets.

Special effects are great. The leads are Charismatic enough, but the script lets them down.

You can actually pick the movies Luc Beson has pinched stuff from. Lots of Star Wars stuff, a line from Daredevil, a cross between Jabba The Hut and Kingpin. The Shadow, Star Trek, etc, etc... and that's just the first 15 minutes. A very strange sub-plot where one lead keep proposing to the other, which doesn't work at all.

So all in all 5/10
I enjoyed it. Would rate it higher. 7/10. It was different and was entertaining. If you like SciFi, worth a watch.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:46 pm

AiA in Atlanta wrote:Planning to see "It" when it opens later this year.

Yes a must see on my list.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:53 pm

OH NO .... NOT CLOWNS!!!! I hate clowns. However I do not suffer from coulrophobia (the fear of clowns).

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Neferti~ wrote:OH NO .... NOT CLOWNS!!!! I hate clowns. However I do not suffer from coulrophobia (the fear of clowns).
Pennywise will help you overcome this fear. Watch it.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Pennywise is UGHHH. *shakes head*

My youngest is off to see IT this week so I will ask him what he thinks when he has seen it.

I don't have phobias but I think it was Pennywise that turned me off clowns for good.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:08 pm

Black Orchid wrote:Pennywise is UGHHH. *shakes head*

My youngest is off to see IT this week so I will ask him what he thinks when he has seen it.

I don't have phobias but I think it was Pennywise that turned me off clowns for good.
I expect this new version to be scarier than the first movie, if not I will be disappointed.