At the Movies...

Discuss Movies, TV, Music and general entertainment here
Neferti

Re: At the Movies...

Post by Neferti » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Rorschach wrote:You don't get good vs evil?
You don't cheer for the good guys?
You have no imagination?
Men think differently to Females, obviously. I've never been interested in so-called "female literature" (romantic stuff) but I will never, ever read or watch anything about "Super Heros" in tights. :stop

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:44 am

Neferti~ wrote:
You have no imagination?
Men think differently to Females, obviously. I've never been interested in so-called "female literature" (romantic stuff) but I will never, ever read or watch anything about "Super Heros" in tights. :stop
Iron Man doesn't wear tights...
Nor; The Hulk, Thor, Wonder Woman... in fact quite a few... some are even nekkid.
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:23 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Neferti~ wrote:
You have no imagination?
Iron Man doesn't wear tights...
Nor; The Hulk, Thor, Wonder Woman... in fact quite a few... some are even nekkid.
I have nothing against men wearing tights, I actually like BALLET. ;) However, I have never, ever been interested in SciFi (except for Time Travel, which for some odd reason fascinates me) or movies about beings with "special powers", regardless of what they wear.

I prefer a good Thriller, but if pseudo blood and guts are depicted, I have to look away or I gag. :f

boxy

Post by boxy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:43 pm

I wouldn't lump superhero films in with SciFi. They're more fantasy. I'm getting a bit sick of them being rolled out too... but I guess they're no worse, on average than any other genre, even if all but the very best of them, shit me to tears.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:54 pm

boxy wrote:I wouldn't lump superhero films in with SciFi. They're more fantasy. I'm getting a bit sick of them being rolled out too... but I guess they're no worse, on average than any other genre, even if all but the very best of them, shit me to tears.
SciFi -v- Fantasy. Same thing in my mind. I loathe cartoons and wasn't allowed comic books as a kid, I had to read proper literature.

What's your idea about Time Travel then?

boxy

Post by boxy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:17 pm

I don't particularly like the way time travel is done in film. Not sure it lends itself to the medium.

I used to enjoy reading about the problems that relativistic time dilation would cause, back when I was a teenager.

Forget the name of the book, but I still remember one, about inter-stellar war being waged. The small team gets sent out to engage the enemy, but because they are light years away, they can have no idea what's going to be at the destination when they get there. When they get back, everyone they knew was already dead, and the whole culture has changed (due to the time that had passed back on earth, but not for them, because of time dilation effects). As a result, they don't fit in, and just re-up, going on mission after mission, each time coming back hundreds of years later (earth time) each, but only aging a few years (all up) themselves... thereby witnessing the evolution (and I think, eventual decline) of human society.

Realistic time travel, for me, is always forward, never back, even if you want to claim it is theoretically possible...
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:49 pm

boxy wrote:I don't particularly like the way time travel is done in film. Not sure it lends itself to the medium.

I used to enjoy reading about the problems that relativistic time dilation would cause, back when I was a teenager.

Forget the name of the book, but I still remember one, about inter-stellar war being waged. The small team gets sent out to engage the enemy, but because they are light years away, they can have no idea what's going to be at the destination when they get there. When they get back, everyone they knew was already dead, and the whole culture has changed (due to the time that had passed back on earth, but not for them, because of time dilation effects). As a result, they don't fit in, and just re-up, going on mission after mission, each time coming back hundreds of years later (earth time) each, but only aging a few years (all up) themselves... thereby witnessing the evolution (and I think, eventual decline) of human society.

Realistic time travel, for me, is always forward, never back, even if you want to claim it is theoretically possible...
My former spouse (now deceased) read SciFi from age 8. He was a nerd, an Engineer and called a Boffin from a very early age.

As a child (10 year old) I was reading my Mother's library books ... she loved the classics.

I tried my damnedest to read the SciFi that my husband so loved. I remember reading books by:

Frank Herbert
"Doc" Smith
Heinlein
Asimov
Arthur C Clarke

The only book/s that made sense to me was the Time Travel thing ... was that Heinlein? I can't remember. I did try various other SciFi books but could never get past the first chapter or so. Detective stories? Different stuff. I live NOW, not in the future ... nor the past. I think that I am probably way too practical to be taken in by fairy tales. That's all. :mrgreen:

boxy

Post by boxy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:35 pm

I've read a few of Clarke's, and of course Azimov and at least one of Heinlein (exenocide). I think the Ender series uses a bit of time travel stuff? Dunno, it's been so long. The Ender's Game film seems to be getting mixed reviews.

The book I was talking about earlier was The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:13 am

boxy wrote:I've read a few of Clarke's, and of course Azimov and at least one of Heinlein (exenocide). I think the Ender series uses a bit of time travel stuff? Dunno, it's been so long. The Ender's Game film seems to be getting mixed reviews.

The book I was talking about earlier was The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

Read it. Loved it. I think they jumped 7 (?) years into the future with ever jump and by the time they got back to Earth the technology had advanced.

Great book. I refer to it as one of my favourite SciFis.

Cannot remember the ending but think it was all just a misunderstanding because eventually we developed technology to communicate with them.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:15 pm

I suppose that my problem with SciFi is that I cannot imagine myself in the situation. I have truly tried, many many times, to read SciFi books but they just do not grab me. We are all different, I guess. I can't even stand watching Dr Who. :D

During the 80's I read a lot of spy novels ... Le Carre, Forsyth, Ludlum, etc. I have more or less given up reading novels these days, nothing seems to grab me. My amusement is via the Internet or Foxtel. I have a stack of books here, can't get enthused.

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I actually caught The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey on the Movie Channel recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. I doubt that I would have been able to read the entire book though.

Apart from SciFi, what other books to people here read? Or should we start a Book thread, rather than bugger up the Movie thread? :mrgreen: