At the Movies...

Discuss Movies, TV, Music and general entertainment here
Black Orchid

Re: At the Movies...

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:15 pm

I watched The Call with Halle Berry a few nights ago. I know it was at the movies a little while ago but it's still considered 'newish' here.

Apart from the fact that the victim was blubbering the whole way through and I couldn't understand what she was saying I enjoyed it. 7/10.

I watched another the same week, Stoker, and I don't even remember it being shown here. I think I know why, it was total crap. I've never been a fan of Nicole Kidman and now I know why. 0/10.

Will go and see The Lone Ranger as soon as school holidays are over. Can't wait.
The media is flop-hungry. All year, the mainstream critics and entertainment journalists have salivated over the prospects of big movies falling flat, seeming to almost encourage it and acting disappointed when some of their predictions didn’t come true. From the early insistence The Great Gatsby was an obvious flop (it wasn’t), to the eager chanting that After Earth was destined to bomb (it did), to the obsessive attempt to convince us World War Z was doomed to failure (wrong again), the press has engaged in more than their usual bit of bandwagon narratives and really focused on the gloom-and-doom predictions more than ever.

The Lone Ranger, a film that’s about a hundred times better than you think it is due to the mindless press coverage and echo-chamber of the increasingly lazy professional critics. In this case, though, I think the press worked extra hard to ensure they’d control the narrative and render the outcome they insisted was unavoidable.

Let me be honest and tell you up front, I originally was excited when I first heard about the film, but as more news came out the negative press coverage sank my hopes. By the start of this week, I didn’t even plan to see it in theaters, and felt it probably wasn’t going to be very good. However, the review over at Salon said a few things that got me interested enough to reconsider seeing it in theaters. But I still went in with low expectations, and I thought the best case would be that it was a mixed bag filled with more “bad” than “good.” Most likely, though, I thought it was going to be awful.

Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be funny, exciting, heartfelt, and just full of real joy and great entertainment.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/ ... mmer-ride/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:45 pm

hmmmmm..... :lol:
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:17 am

My sister the resident movie critic in her house saw... The Lone Ranger last night...
her verdict...
she laughed all the way through it and it's easily the best movie she's seen this year.
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Coming attractions...
THOR 2
ROBOCOP REMAKE
GREEN LANTERN 2
AVENGERS 2 and...
THE WOLVERINE

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:59 pm

GREEN LANTERN 2
Well I hope he is not gay.

Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Rorschach wrote:My sister the resident movie critic in her house saw... The Lone Ranger last night...
her verdict...
she laughed all the way through it and it's easily the best movie she's seen this year.
Is that the one with Johnny Depp? Is it supposed to be funny?

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:55 pm

yes and yes... action adventure comedy.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Neferti~ wrote:
Rorschach wrote:My sister the resident movie critic in her house saw... The Lone Ranger last night...
her verdict...
Is that the one with Johnny Depp? Is it supposed to be funny?
Cool, so worth watching then.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:21 pm

Howzat! Kerry Packer's War, BBC Four

How foul-mouthed Aussie tycoon aimed short-pitched deliveries at a senile cricket establishment

Not a movie but watched this last night. Bloody brilliant. Loved it. Reminds me of home. I was a Packer fan. He was true Aussie lengend.

Howzat! restricts itself to the sphere of cricket, though its portrayal of Packer as a bullying and foul-mouthed tycoon prone to volcanic fits of rage fits the popular conception of him. Yet, as played by Lachy Hulme (who resembles Packer reasonably closely), he's somehow likeable despite everything, embodying an ethic of self-empowerment through energy and willpower and refusing to be trampled by the Establishment and its rich variety of old school ties (the Pavilion at Lord's, Home of Cricket,