NSW Liberals miss deadline for council candidate nominations

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Black Orchid

NSW Liberals miss deadline for council candidate nominations

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:18 pm

Liberals miss deadline in council election 'shambles'

The NSW Liberal Party has scored an extraordinary own goal, failing to nominate candidates for a host of local government elections.

Officials confirmed the party missed Wednesday's 12pm deadline to nominate some candidates, with the state director blaming a lack of resources for the blunder.

Reports suggest the list of councils where voters might not be able to pick Liberal candidates include the Northern Beaches, Sutherland, Hornsby and Lane Cove.

The party's state director Richard Shields admitted the mistake and apologised to the Liberal-endorsed candidates that had not been nominated.

"With the secretariat resources that we had available unfortunately we were unable to nominate in all of the local government areas that were put forward by the state executive," he said.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/liberals-miss ... 28938.html

I've never heard anything so incompetently bizarre! :b :mad

Black Orchid

Re: NSW Liberals miss deadline for council candidate nominations

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:17 pm

More than 100 Liberal Party candidates will be unable to run for council in Australia's most populous state, after a "monumental stuff up" saw the party miss an election nomination deadline.

New South Wales (NSW) officials say they legally cannot accept late entries, with one of Australia's top election analysts estimating the party is likely to lose about 50 council seats as a result.

Several long-serving politicians will automatically be out of a job, and constituents of eight councils will not have a single Liberal Party candidate to vote for.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cly84x8rejjo

This is an absolute debacle!

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:36 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:17 pm
More than 100 Liberal Party candidates will be unable to run for council in Australia's most populous state, after a "monumental stuff up" saw the party miss an election nomination deadline.

New South Wales (NSW) officials say they legally cannot accept late entries, with one of Australia's top election analysts estimating the party is likely to lose about 50 council seats as a result.

Several long-serving politicians will automatically be out of a job, and constituents of eight councils will not have a single Liberal Party candidate to vote for.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cly84x8rejjo

This is an absolute debacle!
Amazing.
Were they sent reminders?

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:55 pm

I don't know but my area is impacted and apparently there will be no Liberal candidates. My local member has been the sitting member since 2003.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:09 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:55 pm
I don't know but my area is impacted and apparently there will be no Liberal candidates.
My local member has been the sitting member since 2003.
if they weren't sent reminders then they should be allowed to nominate.

mellie

Post by mellie » Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:37 am

Just another "accidental" oversight I guess?

Hmmmm
~A climate change denier is what an idiot calls a realist~https://g.co/kgs/6F5wtU