Debate shut down - Digital ID

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Jasin

Re: Debate shut down - Digital ID

Post by Jasin » Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:01 pm

Watching a bit of TV in my Motel Room. Called The Lap. About a KIA fully electric vehicle test drive around Australia.
Out on the Nullabor - one of the Homestead/Caravan stops along the Plain has been without Phone/Internet service for many weeks. Business has basically 'died' as only Cash can be processed.

Online Economics is only as good as long as no-one trips over the lead and pulls the plug.
Online Economics also allows Criminals easier access to steal your money (credits) from overseas and basically 'anywhere' without having to rob your bank with a gun or climb through your window.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:27 pm

I bank with several banks and ANZ was one of them until they decided to close down my local branch. Then a couple of months later they even removed the ATM as well and I can't see any need for that. So ppfftt to ANZ.

I was at Douglass Hanly Moir recently and even they had a sign at the door saying they would no longer accept cash. I'll go elewhere next time just to make a protest.

With all these constant cyber attacks where might we be without cash?

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:34 pm

Well it looks like Australia is going to be 'ripped off'.
Someone's going to 'take the money' and Civil Wars and Wars of Independence, etc usually happen because of something like this.

...someone's 'taking the money' away from everyone else.

Australia and Australians will become 'cashless' indeed.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:46 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:27 pm
I bank with several banks and ANZ was one of them until they decided to close down my local branch. Then a couple of months later they even removed the ATM as well and I can't see any need for that. So ppfftt to ANZ.

I was at Douglass Hanly Moir recently and even they had a sign at the door saying they would no longer accept cash. I'll go elewhere next time just to make a protest.

But now we have Charles on our coins - the one dollar coin compared with the old one:

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:36 pm

He was supposed to be on the $5 note but Chalmers stopped it.

Aquarius

Post by Aquarius » Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:03 am

Black Orchid wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:27 pm

I only use my card these days and rarely carry cash. That's because we were all "encouraged" or should I say forced to change over to either phone or internet banking by St George when they shut down my bank branch at Dee Why during the pandemic.

Personally, for me, internet banking is quite convenient. You can see all your accounts any time you wish. You can do bank transfers at any time of the day or night 24/7. Although I wouldn't like to see too many branches close. We should always have an opportunity to speak face to face with bank staff when we need advice about our accounts and investments. If I want to transfer money into a term deposit, I always do that personally at the bank where it's always safer.

Although, you do need a bit of cash to pay for some things - my hairdresser for instance only accepts cash. I wonder if she pays the correct tax? I doubt it when there aren't any records. And then there are coin slot machines like kids rides and so on. I wonder what will happen when we change over from 3G to 4G!! None of these machines are going to work.

However I do make quite a lot of cash withdrawals from ATMs or over the counter because I only give cash for birthdays and Christmas and other gifts - rarely presents. Although I do buy toys, clothes and books for the grandkids as well but it's too tricky buying presents for anyone else, other than my sister and SIL and best friend of course.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:28 pm

I use internet banking for transfers and paying bills but I won't use my phone. I've not been diligent about it but I'm trying to take money out each week and using that instead of my card for grocery shopping, petrol and incidentals. If anything else is needed I'll use my cards but I am absolutely opposed to being forced into a cashless society and will do everything I can to use more cash to help prevent that.

Sophia

Post by Sophia » Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:34 pm

Looking at fb marketplace, ordinary folk selling their furniture etc and stating cash only.
Of course, who are we mere peons to have eftpos facilities!
If we become a cashless society, all the fun of selling and buying second hand will be gone.
How do we sell our stuff then?
I’m all for renew, re-use, recycle.
If people can’t sell crap for cash anymore, it’s all going to end up in the tip. Hard rubbish collection.
Cashless means they in control have more control.
Having a little cash on side always helps.
Just a little pleasurable thing in life.
People always use paying cash as bargaining too.
What do we say otherwise, would you take less for eftpos?
:nah

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:51 pm

Never leave your Wi-Fi button on as people can get into your phone via that. Use it only when you know you're in a safe/secure vicinity.